228359 Bullies, 4339 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 164
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. JudoA is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    242

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 8:11am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    you know what.... im young. kind of.... i want to hit bags filled with metal pellets and rip at trees. i think im going with animal kung fu

    this isnt shotokan in the 70s, as nice as the katas are, i want the brutality of traditional iron body training. i can always do shotokan when im older. i just hope i dont make my sensei feel bad. i dont think i can train with him anymore
    You know The Karate Kid is just a film, right?
  2. CheeksWWAC is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    197

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 9:15am


     Style: BJJ and Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude just take a turbo kickboxing class. Youll meet chicks and look like a fag, which if Im not mistaken are your two training goals.
  3. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 10:50am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    If that's what you want out of the experience, great.

    Then, after five years, you can go to a boxing gym, and experience the brutality of being knocked out by a 15 year-old with six months' training.

    If I went to a boxing gym I would train to box.

    I will say that I am also interested in judo and BJJ but I cant do it all right now. I know there is a BJJ place here in town though.

    I want stuff like this, for example in dragon kung fu:


    • Basic
      • 16 Movements/Holes
      • Passing Bridge Three Times
      • Fierce Tiger Leaping Over Wall
      • Rescue Master From Single Side
      • Single Sword and Mount
      • Press and Hit from Four Sides
      • Eagle Claw
      • Bridge Smashing

    • Intermediate
      • Touch Bridge (introduces sticking hands)
      • Venomous Snake Moves Tongue
      • Hua King's Fist
      • Standing Five-Form
      • Cross Standing Five-Form
      • Turn to Hook and Hit
      • Five Horses Returning to Stable

    • Advanced
      • Plum Flower Punch
      • Seven Ways of Plum Flower Punch
  4. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 10:52am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    You know The Karate Kid is just a film, right?
    but the principles of karate are to seek perfection of character
  5. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 11:00am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting, i though Karate was about kicking people in the head.
  6. Mannetosen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    132

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 11:18am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll get more conditioned to taking strikes in full contact striking arts than prancing around in shiny PJs.

    As for the "perfecting character" part, I've been to a few clubs and gyms in my time. My experience is that most gyms that train people for competition and\or to actually fight are really laid-back, while non-sparring kata fairies usually are ego-tripping assholes who crank locks during compliant drills and hold themselves in a higher regard than everyone with a lower belt rank than them.

    Of course there are exceptions to this, but pushing your body to and past its limits and taking and receiving shots is the biggest slice of humble pie I've ever tasted, and you develop a healthy respect for other people that way. Combat sports are just as character building as "traditional" martial arts, maybe even more.

    But again, there's no use doing something you don't enjoy under an instructor you don't like. I'd suggest that you try out both your kung fu and BJJ, as most gyms have trial classes, and find out what you enjoy more. Personally I think grappling is a blast, even if it looks a bit weird to the untrained eye.
  7. ermghoti is online now
    ermghoti's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,226

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 11:23am


     Style: BJJ+Sanda

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    I want stuff like this, for example in dragon kung fu:



    • Basic

      • 16 Movements/Holes
      • Passing Bridge Three Times
      • Fierce Tiger Leaping Over Wall
      • Rescue Master From Single Side
      • Single Sword and Mount
      • Press and Hit from Four Sides
      • Eagle Claw
      • Bridge Smashing


    • Intermediate

      • Touch Bridge (introduces sticking hands)
      • Venomous Snake Moves Tongue
      • Hua King's Fist
      • Standing Five-Form
      • Cross Standing Five-Form
      • Turn to Hook and Hit
      • Five Horses Returning to Stable


    • Advanced

      • Plum Flower Punch
      • Seven Ways of Plum Flower Punch

    Exactly. Lots of dancing, no fighting.
  8. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 11:52am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i see
  9. RWaggs is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    919

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 1:10pm


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    If I went to a boxing gym I would train to box.

    I will say that I am also interested in judo and BJJ but I cant do it all right now. I know there is a BJJ place here in town though.

    I want stuff like this, for example in dragon kung fu:


    • Basic
      • 16 Movements/Holes
      • Passing Bridge Three Times
      • Fierce Tiger Leaping Over Wall
      • Rescue Master From Single Side
      • Single Sword and Mount
      • Press and Hit from Four Sides
      • Eagle Claw
      • Bridge Smashing

    • Intermediate
      • Touch Bridge (introduces sticking hands)
      • Venomous Snake Moves Tongue
      • Hua King's Fist
      • Standing Five-Form
      • Cross Standing Five-Form
      • Turn to Hook and Hit
      • Five Horses Returning to Stable

    • Advanced
      • Plum Flower Punch
      • Seven Ways of Plum Flower Punch

    That just seems like a lot of work and memorization to ultimately get beat by this:

    • Basic
      • Jab
      • Cross/Straight

    • Intermediate
      • Lead Hook
      • Rear uppercut

    • Advanced
      • Lead Uppercut
      • Rear overhand
  10. IMightBeWrong is offline
    IMightBeWrong's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,074

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 1:52pm


     Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into Muay Thai a bit. There's a good balance of sport and tradition since you're learning the punches of boxing with traditional Thai kicks, knees, and elbows. I just recently started and the satin shorty shorts we get to wear with cool Thai writing on them are pretty comfy.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.