Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 4:37pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    yes and yes! besides at the local mma place the coaches for example know kenpo or kyukoshin or judo or aikido, they were just really great at it. clearly mma incorporates shotokan/kyukoshin into its format. yeah i like the katas. i wish they did full contact sparring like they did at the uechi place i used to train at, but they dont.

i guess it would be wiser to do mma, right?

i guess i wanted the tradition, the secret and the beauty.... but i dont want to seem like a big *****, even though i am. truly.

that was a good question mannetosin
    No need to do MMA. There are plenty of "traditional" martial arts seeped in culture.

Kyokushin or its derivatives are your best bet of finding good "fighting karate". You'll learn how to fight, get in great shape, and still get to do your katas, wear a cool short-sleeved gi, and say Japanese words.

Judo is another great option. You mentioned having a tight budget, and Judo schools are usually non-profit. Great art for sport, fitness, self defense, whatever. Also contains katas, though they are usually at a higher belt level.

There are definitely good kung fu schools out there, but most of those train more like kickboxing gyms from what I hear.

Muay Thai is the national sport of Thailand, and is in all actuality older than most "traditional" martial arts.

i guess i wanted to be a tma champion, able to become gifted and great and utilize that art to compete against boxing or muai thai.

i dont have time, as a serious anthropology student, to dedicate my life to competitive fighting, but for fitness, balance, coordination, and strength and enlightenment, i did want to devote myself to a martial art or two. its just a dream
    Many people train recreationally, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you want to be a champion, it takes tons of dedication and training, no matter what your art is. I'm assuming you'd enjoy most martial arts that train hard, no matter what they label their training as. Make sure you get along with the instructor and enjoy training. There's nothing quite like a hard training session.

Good luck with whatever you decide to train in.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 4:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like the stories, the histories of the katas and the forms, and the zen philosophy that goes with it
    Make believe. Like I said you should do dance; or if you're allergic to sweat, drama.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 4:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes i want to train hard. thanks. not sure what i will go with i have to try out the xing yi, ba gua and animal forms when i get the time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 4:48pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well u just used the word *****, so i dont see how your appropriation of the feminine is any more developed than mine
    irony/ˈīrənē/
    Noun: The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humo..... You know what? Nevermind.

I don't have time for this. I have too many 19 year old sluts to bang.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.chinesemartialartscenter.com/

this is the school with nan quon, xing yi and ba gua among others.

how interesting!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 6:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what.... im young. kind of.... i want to hit bags filled with metal pellets and rip at trees. i think im going with animal kung fu

this isnt shotokan in the 70s, as nice as the katas are, i want the brutality of traditional iron body training. i can always do shotokan when im older. i just hope i dont make my sensei feel bad. i dont think i can train with him anymore

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh god, can anyone tell me when summer is over? I'm not posting till school is back in session.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok maybe I dont know what to say but I want the intensity of the five animal kung fu. I will simply try the class out and see how I like it. I do like shotokan a lot but I want to give this a shot...

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 5:18am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Oh god, can anyone tell me when summer is over? I'm not posting till school is back in session.
    Dude, I've been told that I won't be back on the mats for six months. I'm pretty much trapped on the internet with this **** right now.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2011 5:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what.... im young. kind of.... i want to hit bags filled with metal pellets and rip at trees. i think im going with animal kung fu

this isnt shotokan in the 70s, as nice as the katas are, i want the brutality of traditional iron body training. i can always do shotokan when im older.
    If that's what you want out of the experience, great.

Then, after five years, you can go to a boxing gym, and experience the brutality of being knocked out by a 15 year-old with six months' training.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast