218308 Bullies, 5991 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 164
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,543

    Points
    8,793
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:03pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go and watch or take a trial class at the Ba Gua & Xing Yi place and see if you like it.

    Those arts have forms & chinese weapons to play with too.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
  2. hitandrun is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    493

    Points
    894
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:05pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    i dont know about animal kung fu

    it harnesses a kind of chi that is very primal, but so does boxing or football.

    kung fu people say that the different animals unlock or help you focus aspects of the animals energy.
    Yeah, it's pretty deadly.
  3. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Points
    292

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:07pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so i should forget about mastering the shotokan forms?
  4. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Points
    292

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:07pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandrun View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty deadly.
    well they said it was the alchemy of changing the self from within

    that is fair enough, i think
  5. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,379

    Points
    8,581
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:08pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    Im in school for anthropology.

    I view shotokan as teaching one how to focus power (kime) from the core (tan dien). it stresses hip rotation, hip knee and ankle flexibility and body alignement. I view kata as teaching these principles as well as doing esoteric stuff like building chi. i just view chi as extreme focus and awareness, concentration of the right kind of energy efficiently. all professional athletes have good chi... probably

    i view moy yat wing cchun as the kind of kung fu that moy yat got from yip man. it stresses bone alignment and sensitivity above all else. then comes focus and power generation

    i dont know about animal kung fu

    it harnesses a kind of chi that is very primal, but so does boxing or football.

    kung fu people say that the different animals unlock or help you focus aspects of the animals energy. this isnt something that western atheletes dont do, they do do it. kung fu just realizes this and has a system of cultivating that power

    then there is some more cool esoteric stuff about the elements and the meridians, pressure points, etc

    i would love to learn that
    First off, I'm a black belt in Shotokan, I've been training it since 2003. I've also done kung fu with about half a dozen people, including some guys in China who had been training since before the cultural revolution. So, I'd like to think I have some bits of wisdom on the subject.
    It's really not that great. Certainly better than some other martial arts, but you can do better. All kata is really going to do for you is teach you to punch with your chin up, left hand down, and heels on the floor; that is, the opposite of how you want to punch when actually fighting. Building chi/internal energy is a bunch of hooey, but it's such poorly defined hooey that those who want to can just rationalize it as something else.
    When I was a brown belt in Shotokan, I was getting wiped across the floor by muay thai guys who had been training all of six months and were ten pounds lighter than me. At the same time, I was wiping the floors with kung fu guys.
    Chinese martial arts are wildly diverse in quality and methods, but in general, tend to be a crock of bullshit. Not always, as our community's own fearsome CMA practicioners will attest, but the lack of quality control and standards plus the gravitation towards esoterica in CMA makes it a very bullshit-heavy community. Still go and check the schools out and such, but be wary.
    Shotokan definitely has some of the prettiest kata out there, but if you're only interested in aesthetic movement, drop the karate and take up breakdancing.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  6. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Points
    292

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:13pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    First off, I'm a black belt in Shotokan, I've been training it since 2003. I've also done kung fu with about half a dozen people, including some guys in China who had been training since before the cultural revolution. So, I'd like to think I have some bits of wisdom on the subject.
    It's really not that great. Certainly better than some other martial arts, but you can do better. All kata is really going to do for you is teach you to punch with your chin up, left hand down, and heels on the floor; that is, the opposite of how you want to punch when actually fighting. Building chi/internal energy is a bunch of hooey, but it's such poorly defined hooey that those who want to can just rationalize it as something else.
    When I was a brown belt in Shotokan, I was getting wiped across the floor by muay thai guys who had been training all of six months and were ten pounds lighter than me. At the same time, I was wiping the floors with kung fu guys.
    Chinese martial arts are wildly diverse in quality and methods, but in general, tend to be a crock of bullshit. Not always, as our community's own fearsome CMA practicioners will attest, but the lack of quality control and standards plus the gravitation towards esoterica in CMA makes it a very bullshit-heavy community. Still go and check the schools out and such, but be wary.
    Shotokan definitely has some of the prettiest kata out there, but if you're only interested in aesthetic movement, drop the karate and take up breakdancing.
    damn.

    you are right the kata are beautiful, and kanazawa appears to generate great power

    well there is an mma school here in town, maybe they will have muay thai. one of those mma cats is already banging a hot 19 year old slut.

    i dont get many women. ive nver had sex with anyone under 24. im kindo f angry at mma people, and if i joined them, i wouldnt get the women anyway
  7. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,379

    Points
    8,581
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:16pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    damn.

    you are right the kata are beautiful, and kanazawa appears to generate great power

    well there is an mma school here in town, maybe they will have muay thai. one of those mma cats is already banging a hot 19 year old slut.

    i dont get many women. ive nver had sex with anyone under 24. im kindo f angry at mma people, and if i joined them, i wouldnt get the women anyway
    Quit trolling. If you want to have sex so badly, hire a prostitute. Martial arts is about war, not love.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  8. hitandrun is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    493

    Points
    894
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:22pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    well there is an mma school here in town, maybe they will have muay thai. one of those mma cats is already banging a hot 19 year old slut.

    i dont get many women. ive nver had sex with anyone under 24. im kindo f angry at mma people, and if i joined them, i wouldnt get the women anyway
    You don't need none of that, just find your animal within and the ladies will replies to the mate calls.


    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    well they said it was the alchemy of changing the self from within
    Yes, I've seen it.
  9. burningflames is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    58

    Points
    292

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:31pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im disgruntled. There is another cat at the boxing place. I just know he gets more women than a black frat member at an hbcu. i cant join them with my track record. im just the loser trying to act like the winner then
  10. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,543

    Points
    8,793
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

    Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:34pm

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what son? I think you're right.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.