Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

tallahassee advice: shotokan, moy yat wing chun, animal KF

I used to train moy yat wing chun, then some shotokan.

now i am working somewhere so i cant train but soon it is back to university and i will have some time to dedicate to tmas.

I would like to continue with shotokan and wing chun it fits my schedule, but there is also a place in town that offers "shaolin kung fu" im interested in nan quon and the animal styles

the sifu there said kung fu is the most direct way to access the power of the animal styles

i cant decide what to train

i really like the katas in shotokan

sochin, hangetsu (gichin replaced sanchin with hangetsu kata, it is a similar breathing kata and stance), jion (my favorite), kanku dai, bassa dai, nijushiho, enpi, wankan, chinte, jite

these are all really awesome kata

very powerful things going on

im thinking i should be good with shotokan and the moy yat school too, infact i consider that to be an excellent full time traditional regimen

but i dont want to miss out on what i could potentially gain from animal kung fu or nan quon

i am still young, 27, so i want to get my body really fit and flexible for the next 20 or so years that i have to be in my physical prime

there is also a chinese school offering ba gua and xing yi kung fu.

what to u guys think?

u can look up the shotokan katas on youtube, kanazawa is the name to look for. they are really beautiful. zen japanese. its great. i love jion especially

then wing chun has all the push hands sensitivity drills and the wooden dummy and of course the staff and knives further down the road. the sifu there likes to knife fight. its good stuff.

i think i should do shotokan and wing chun, maybe later in life i can learn an animal form and see how it compares

thanks

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't really the kind of place where people are into kata or any of that kind of stuff. Good luck with your search though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of gathered that and will possibly step into a boxing gym if i can afford the lessons, but I like the traditions of the east and want to learn about them for now. I can always put on gloves and apply what i learn if i get the chance in a boxing ring. Besides lyoto machida trained shotokan. thats pretty cool imo

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by burningflames View Post
    I kind of gathered that and will possibly step into a boxing gym if i can afford the lessons, but I like the traditions of the east and want to learn about them for now. I can always put on gloves and apply what i learn if i get the chance in a boxing ring. Besides lyoto machida trained shotokan. thats pretty cool imo
    Boxing is cheap
    Machida also trains bjj, sumo and muay thai
    Most martial arts places mistransmitted traditions. If you want to learn real eastern traditions take a cultural course or something.

I highly recommend trying what you learned in a boxing ring. It will be an eye opener

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here, go find your Animal Within.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im in school for anthropology.

I view shotokan as teaching one how to focus power (kime) from the core (tan dien). it stresses hip rotation, hip knee and ankle flexibility and body alignement. I view kata as teaching these principles as well as doing esoteric stuff like building chi. i just view chi as extreme focus and awareness, concentration of the right kind of energy efficiently. all professional athletes have good chi... probably

i view moy yat wing cchun as the kind of kung fu that moy yat got from yip man. it stresses bone alignment and sensitivity above all else. then comes focus and power generation

i dont know about animal kung fu

it harnesses a kind of chi that is very primal, but so does boxing or football.

kung fu people say that the different animals unlock or help you focus aspects of the animals energy. this isnt something that western atheletes dont do, they do do it. kung fu just realizes this and has a system of cultivating that power

then there is some more cool esoteric stuff about the elements and the meridians, pressure points, etc

i would love to learn that

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Boxing is cheap
    Machida also trains bjj, sumo and muay thai
    Most martial arts places mistransmitted traditions. If you want to learn real eastern traditions take a cultural course or something.

I highly recommend trying what you learned in a boxing ring. It will be an eye opener

its 65 a month and if i do that i cant do tmas. i may be a fool but i want non western traditional asian experience. so its affordable, i will try it when i can.

but how much of a boxers skill is simply a higher fitness/conditioning level?

I highly value looking "At what others are doing" and not closing myself off to anything.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP - you are very misinformed about kung fu. it doesn't sound like you have very good instruction for kung fu around you, so going to a boxing gym is the best idea you have had.

go and box for a few years, get a feel for what fighting is like. then if you want to train kung fu, find a teacher who produces fighters (sanda or lei tai fighters) and train with them.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask if any of the places teaching chinese martial arts enter shuai jiao, pushing hands or San Da/San Shou competitons, because if they do, then that makes a difference.

I don't know about the US, but in the UK 27 is considered a little old to take up boxing. You cannot fight in sanctioned amateur bouts past the age of 34 here.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 4:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the place teaching ba gua and xing yi does do the san shou competitions.

i dont think i am misinformed about moy yat wing chun, that is what it is about, right?

IF not can u tell me what it should be about?
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast