...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me pick an airsoft rifle for Camp Skeletor

Today I've been trying to pick an airsoft rifle for Camp Skeletor. My idea is to get a realistic airsoft rifle which will be worthwhile as a training tool. In terms of real rifles, at home I have an AK 47, AR 15 (M16A2 style), and a mini-14, so ideally the airsoft rifle should be one of these rifles. (I already checked and see that there aren't really any mini 14 airsoft rifles.) I also would like gas blowback operated, because I feel that that mode of operation is more realistic than battery-operated-with-300-bbs-in-the-magazine.

Thing is, there don't seem to be any AK 47 or AR 15 gas blowbacks. The closest I can find are M4 gas blowbacks, which is okay in the sense that I would still be working the charging handle, magazine release, and so on, but the other thing I am noticing is that a lot of those gas blowback airsoft rifles don't have rails, so I wouldn't be able to mount a light, besides for taping a flashlight under the hand guard.

This one is on sale and looks like a good deal, but no rails: http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-WE-M4-GBB-TN.htm

This one is very affordable, but I am not sure if it is a total piece of crap or not. Basically one review said that it shoots accurately, and another review says that the parts are shakey. Is it sturdy enough to survive Camp Skeletor? Will mechanical issues undermine its utility as a training tool? http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-WELL-G16A1.htm

This one looks like it has rails, AND is a reputable company, but goddamn, it's amost 400 bucks! That's more expensive than a real used handgun! http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-WE-CQBR-GBB.htm
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 5:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brother...don't kill yourself buying something, but a good semi-auto is a necessity!

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My biggest concern is that I have something realistic that will make my training have real world value. The biggest folly would be to save a little bit of money but then jack up muscle memory etc that training would normally build.

How important for the training would it be for the rifle to have rails?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 9:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I finally went ahead and got the expensive WE/TM rifle with the quad rail. I figure if I don't get a durable training tool that is going to build muscle memory for when I use my real AR I am really going to be squandering an opportunity.

However, once I ordered the rifle, I found out that it's an older closed bolt design, and as a result I was unable to get additional magazines for the rifle from airsplat.com. Frustrated, I looked around on the internet, and apparently was able to find some (tan colored blah) closed bolt WE/TM M4 magazines on Red Wolf Airsoft. So, hopefully everything goes well, they're in stock and everything, and I should have 3 closed bolt mags to train with.

Those mags cost 38 bucks apiece! That is more than a real 30 round AR mag nowadays.

Once everything arrives and seems to be OK, my plan is to go shopping at a local store for a good tac sling, and some kind of light that I can mount on the rails.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 12:01am

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop wasting time on airsplat.

10% off everything at Redwolf until July 8th with this coupon code: SGXEOUFC
    Last edited by Stick; 7/06/2011 12:05am at .

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're at it, somebody suggest a decent airsoft gas-blowback pistol. I'd like something as close as possible to my real pistol - a Sig p229. The POS p226 that I had last year fell apart so I don't mind spending a bit more to get a quality piece. I've found a p229 that seems pretty decent, but everyone seems to have it on backorder till July 30.

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 10:03pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What brand did you get?

Plastic or metal construction?

How much and from whom did you get it?

I see several options from Tokyo Marui, and they're generally regarded highly.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last Camp, I ran with a Kwan Ju Works full metal gas blowback 1911. It stood up to the punishment and never let me down. It costs like a hundred bucks if I recall.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/06/2011 10:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Stop wasting time on airsplat.

10% off everything at Redwolf until July 8th with this coupon code: SGXEOUFC
    See, your post came way too late. I already ordered at TM M4 from airsplat.com. But I did end up buying 2 extra mags from redwolf.

EDIT: Didn't you see this from that page you're pointing to?

Please note that this gun cannot be shipped to the USA due to it being too realistic.

Posted On:
    7/07/2011 12:33am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, god dammit >_<

I'll take my fail on that.

Also, it's nearly a thousand dollars.

Need to get a sling and new batteries for my Classic Army G36, and I suppose a couple of 30rnd mags instead of that silly 300 one I have....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast