Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 3:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be sad, darb. Karate is very useful for self defense. Should the pine cabinetry section at Home Depot happen to rise up in rebellion one day, we will all feel quite safe knowing you will be on the front lines.

I mean people laugh at me for learning to use swords, but I'll be the one laughing when they run out of ammo on Z-Day.

Posted On:
    7/03/2011 5:35pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am ready to go in such a situation.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2013 6:10pm

Style: Jujitsu, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my sensei's swore by sanbon tsuki - he said that it saved his life in a bar once. It was interesting how such a simple technique (three punches) could be so effective and in this case, save a life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2013 5:03pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trained for five years in Isshinryu. Never got into a fight. Ergo: karate works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2013 3:47am

Style: Kyokushin

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really do wonder if there is something to this...

I have not been in an actual fight since I was a kid. Is it because I am much more aware of my surroundings now? Is it because I project as a non-victim? Maybe because I can negotiate from a position of strength if it does get to a "negotiation" phase in the confrontation? All of this has come as a result of Karate training sure, but its also something you could learn in two weeks at any RBSD seminar.

One thing I can definitely thank Karate for is putting me in pressure situations and teaching me how to deal with fight or flight, adrenalin dump etc. Because of this its a lot easier to keep a handle on a situation and not allow it to escalate. I think this sense of calm does put off a potential assailant also.

So karate for the win.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 12:39am

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    You really do wonder if there is something to this...

I have not been in an actual fight since I was a kid. Is it because I am much more aware of my surroundings now? Is it because I project as a non-victim? Maybe because I can negotiate from a position of strength if it does get to a "negotiation" phase in the confrontation? All of this has come as a result of Karate training sure, but its also something you could learn in two weeks at any RBSD seminar.

One thing I can definitely thank Karate for is putting me in pressure situations and teaching me how to deal with fight or flight, adrenalin dump etc. Because of this its a lot easier to keep a handle on a situation and not allow it to escalate. I think this sense of calm does put off a potential assailant also.

So karate for the win.
    I agree. Thankfully, I've never been in a streetfight but it's come close a few times. I was celebrating a friend's birthday at a bar one time and a guy walked out of the bar with a ball he took from the pool table. I was commenting to my friends about how he had a ball in his hand and he overheard me. He said "open your mouth again and I'll break your teeth." We had a staredown for 10 seconds and he walked away with his friends. If I didn't have any training/discipline, I probably would have said something stupid. I'm glad I didn't because he has with about 5 guys and I was with a skinny drunk guy and a short girl.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/10/2013 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by silvers_ghost View Post
    Its very possible that you haven't been in a fight since you were a kid because you're not a kid anymore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2013 10:46pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Its very possible that you haven't been in a fight since you were a kid because you're not a kid anymore.
    no its totally the mad karate skills bro
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456