Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 11:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    What you are talking about is how different arts apply the same principles to execute the same technique. This is the crux of what sets the curriculum apart in all the arts. The physiokinetic principles of how the body operates do not change. Ever. They are constants. Physics. Laws. What changes is how each art chooses to apply those principles, in action.

That's why you see Kotegaeshi done one way in one art, and done another way in another art. It's still Kotegaeshi. But maybe one system relies on triangulation, while another relies on pain-compliance.

But that's not what I was really talking about in my previous posts.

Pretend for a moment that two different arts do a technique the exact same way. What makes that technique Art A in that system and Art B in the other? I was saying that perhaps it's the mindset/philosophy of the art, itself, that is the differentiator. For example, in Judo the goal is to throw the opponent and score a point. It's a game (most of the time). Whereas in Crazy Combat Jutsu Ryu, the goal is to survive or maim your opponent.

But again, that's an argument based in semantics.

Another idea is taken from an article I read somewhere:

Something like: "Show me your attack and I'll show you your art."

It was about how every system trains off of set pretend scenarios and attacks. i.e. before we can do a kotegaeshi, our Uke must first attack us. And every art dictates our attacker to attack us in a certain way. And it's interesting to see how all the different arts teach their students to attack one another in the dojo to facilitate learning/training.
    I wrote a long reply to this, but in the end I decided it's probably pointless since I doubt we actually disagree with each other to begin with. Though, it's slightly contradictory to say that you cringe when people talk about "muay thai knees" and "judo throws", only to then reference an article about how you can discern a person's school/style/whatever from how they attack.

That said, I get the feeling this is a discussion that would be more fun if alcohol was involved.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate for self defense?

Raises hand.

Was unlucky enough to have the first cop on scene be the only one with whom I had previous issues.

Cost me a **** load of money in legal fees, attackers hospital bills and their lost wages.

Lesson learned? Life's not fair. Dad was right.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 8:22pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A kid tried to intimidate me at school when I was awesome and 16 and I ineffectually reverse punched him in the solar plexus with a huge kiai, he shook his head called me a psycho and walked off. So yeah...I effectively used karate...it's all about the aliveness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2011 9:08pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fluffers View Post
    I wrote a long reply to this, but in the end I decided it's probably pointless since I doubt we actually disagree with each other to begin with.
    I'd just like to say that I'm not trying to argue with you. Just having a discussion. :)

Though, it's slightly contradictory to say that you cringe when people talk about "muay thai knees" and "judo throws", only to then reference an article about how you can discern a person's school/style/whatever from how they attack.
    That reference is more about "reading between the lines." It's not a literal thing. But not that important.

That said, I get the feeling this is a discussion that would be more fun if alcohol was involved.
    Hells yes!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2011 2:14am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once used one of those hip-chambered punches to defend myself.

I kid you not, one time a "friend" of mine actually tried to perform a flying sidekick on me while I was on the phone. I sidestepped him and punched him while he was still in the air.

I've also used middle blocks against wide haymakers thrown by a drunk guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2011 3:05am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once elbowed someone in the face who was winding up for a punch. At least I hope they were or I have been a bigger dick than usual.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just like to say that I'm not trying to argue with you. Just having a discussion. :)
    I know, I didn't think you were trying to piss on my views or anything. Same goes for me. I just figure that we don't really disagree on much and it wasn't really worth getting into. This is just one of those things you talk about face to face with somebody. The more I type, the more I stop and think "lol internet," and the closer my backspace key comes to an untimely end.

Besides, all this "mindset" and "reading between the lines" stuff borders on philosophy... which runs the very real risk of my brain overheating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 10:37am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fluffers View Post
    I know, I didn't think you were trying to piss on my views or anything. Same goes for me. I just figure that we don't really disagree on much and it wasn't really worth getting into. This is just one of those things you talk about face to face with somebody. The more I type, the more I stop and think "lol internet," and the closer my backspace key comes to an untimely end.

Besides, all this "mindset" and "reading between the lines" stuff borders on philosophy... which runs the very real risk of my brain overheating.
    lol, yeah. Cheers!

And I just moved from Atlanta. Was there for a few years. Where in GA are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 11:52am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. After reading this thread I was thinking "boy this thread slid downhill"....
    Then I re-read the original post & realized it had been at the bottom of the hill the whole time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2011 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, yeah. Cheers!

And I just moved from Atlanta. Was there for a few years. Where in GA are you?
    Augusta. Born in Atlanta, though. When I go back there every once in awhile, it's like a whole different place from what I remember... A lot bigger, that's for sure.

And yeah @ Mo_Fo, I'm not even sure if OP was serious or not TBH.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast