Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 10:07am

Style: Nihon Koryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wytstal View Post
    i do not think that karate wouldnt work i believe it how you train
    If this is what you think of as 'interesting conversation', please refrain from it, post less, lurk and read a lot

A LOT!!!

A LOT

MORE

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was a young teen, I was in a fight and after I got the upper hand, the other guy started running away, and I chased him. He ran around a bush, and when I ran one way he went the other. This is incredibly frustrating when all you want to do is punch a guy. There was a wooden sign sticking out of the center of the bush, I punched it as hard as I could in frustrated desparation. It broke into many flying pieces and everyone thought it was some seriously serious seriousness, and there may have been some kind of bellowing kiai. Then the homeowner came out and everyone ran away, because he heard his sign being destroyed by my fist. Board breaking, yelling, and running away. Karate FTW.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 12:58pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was training karate I had an encounter with an asshole in a parking lot at a mall. I was parking and getting out of the car with my pregnant wife. He didn't like my driving. We exchanged words. I remained calm. I was confident I could take him easily. He sensed the confidence in my demeanor. He walked away. Karate wins again.

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So...if you train for your Karate not to work, and that doesn't work, does that mean Karate works?

Or is it that you've failed, even at failure?

If Karate didn't work in a forest and nobody was around, did it actually work?

Do not discuss.

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A front kick or roundhouse is used by a lot of different styles, so is a punch. If you strike someone and successfully defend yourself is it karate because you learned it in a karate class? If you throw someone to the ground is that karate if you learned it in karate class? I don't think you can really say "I used XXXX to defend myself."

Posted On:
    6/14/2011 8:50pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone post the vid of that krotty guy forearm chopping that skinny ass pimp. I'd post it myself but i'd rather someone else take the ridicule for posting old **** for a change. If the OP wants proof of karate in the streets that vid is as close as it gets.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2011 4:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kashima Shinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ OP - Yes. I was once attacked by a large stack of thin pine shelving.

Karate saved my life.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    When I was a young teen, I was in a fight and after I got the upper hand, the other guy started running away, and I chased him. He ran around a bush, and when I ran one way he went the other. This is incredibly frustrating when all you want to do is punch a guy. There was a wooden sign sticking out of the center of the bush, I punched it as hard as I could in frustrated desparation. It broke into many flying pieces and everyone thought it was some seriously serious seriousness, and there may have been some kind of bellowing kiai. Then the homeowner came out and everyone ran away, because he heard his sign being destroyed by my fist. Board breaking, yelling, and running away. Karate FTW.
    Freud would love you.

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    So...if you train for your Karate not to work, and that doesn't work, does that mean Karate works?

Or is it that you've failed, even at failure?

If Karate didn't work in a forest and nobody was around, did it actually work?

Do not discuss.
    It means you used Verbal Karate:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kar...o-quit-k,2297/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2011 1:56pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Jack View Post
    A front kick or roundhouse is used by a lot of different styles, so is a punch. If you strike someone and successfully defend yourself is it karate because you learned it in a karate class? If you throw someone to the ground is that karate if you learned it in karate class? I don't think you can really say "I used XXXX to defend myself."
    I actually think this is an interesting topic.

One of my friends thinks he's a Muy Thai boxer because he trained Muy Thai for two months while in Thailand. He always says stuff like, "A 'Muy Thai' punch this... and a 'Muy Thai' kick that..." And I always chuckle.

Same thing on the UFC and other televised MMA fights. The announcer will say "judo throw" or "boxing punch" or "Muy Thai knees." It's all a bit ridiculous to me.

A punch is a punch. The only thing (to me) the various arts "own" is HOW they teach/apply the Principles they rely on. But those Principles are the same across every art.

Many arts teach similar (or even the same) techniques. What makes a hip-throw in Judo different from the same throw taught in an art like Aikido or some system of Japanese Jujutsu? I guess one could argue it's more in the intent and dogma of the art. Judo is a sport and requires a specific mindset. Whereas Aikido (for example) has an entirely different set of principles (not of motion or body mechanics, but of mind and philosophy) at its core.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. :)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast