Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1st Kyu Exam and a question for the more experienced

First of all, I want to offer a virtual beer for everyone because i passed my 1st kyu exam last saturday.

That being said, I've got a question: an external candidate for the Shodan took the exam with me and a classmate of mine. This external candidate is a jujitsu (not sure about the exact ryu) that sometimes practices with us. Now, this funny guy was the worst uke I've ever had, he almost never attacked in the right way for the tecnique i was supposed to display.

Before anyone starts to point that MAs should be realistic let me underscore that it was an EXAM and not RANDORI. Were it randori i would just adjust my stance and/or tecnique on the fly (yes, we do randori) and go ahead, but my sensei tore me a new one because my waza were not as smooth as they could be and said nothing to uke

I kept my temper and carried on whilst picturing the pleasure of shooting a nice and lovely low yokogeri to uke's front knee, what would you have done? Has something like this ever happened to you?

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not study a shitty art that depends on the uke "attacking correctly."

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious, what is permitted during your "randori"? Aikido people use that word differently from judo. Could your opponent grab your uwagi? Shoot for a double?

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilenzo View Post
    First of all, I want to offer a virtual beer for everyone because i passed my 1st kyu exam last saturday.
    Congrats.

I kept my temper and carried on whilst picturing the pleasure of shooting a nice and lovely low yokogeri to uke's front knee, what would you have done? Has something like this ever happened to you?
    Never happened to me. I always asked a dan grade for taking ukemi. Demonstrating paired kata requires both participants know the kata.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Just curious, what is permitted during your "randori"? Aikido people use that word differently from judo. Could your opponent grab your uwagi? Shoot for a double?
    Depends on the school.

Grabbing is probably very likely to happen. Most methodologies teach randori in aikido as a means to learn distancing, timing, and angling. Point being to not let people get ahold of you. Most people run into issues when they take too much time trying to throw someone, or take them down.

Single/double leg takedown is highly unlikely to be done in aikido randori - especially by an uke. We could get away with it at most of our schools, so long as the person doing it was safe about it. A lot of aikido schools don't teach morote gari/kuchiki taoshi

I've been Goldberg Speared before during randori during an aikido test. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I confess I haven't seen a lot of aikido randori. What I have seen looks more like a demo: people running in and attacking in fully commited ways that lend themselves to aikido waza. I haven't seen anything that looked like a competent attacker.

Style
    Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations, make my beer an import !

I've been involved in Aikido about four years. You are way ahead of me in grading. I'm not much interested in belts anymore, but I have had several exams because, I'm told, that's the way it's done. I have been invited to work out with the black belts frequently at special sessions because I have the ability to deliver strong kicks and punches due to prior training. The head instructor feels that is missing.

My observation is that you are completely right about the difference between testing and randori. My impression is that you are judged on a test by the proficiency with which you execute the technique (including form and application). In a test, the techniques are implemented about half speed at kyu rank faster at Shodan level...increases as you move up. You are expected to adjust or flow into another technique if necessary. If you don't get it right your most likely not getting promoted.

This instructor teaches a hard style of Aikido. During randori , at this dojo, any kind of attack is permitted. From what I have observed, when receiving an attack, speed/timing is critical ... also atemi strikes are used (Palm heel type blow a favorite). Most of the body wraps, grapevines and tackles I have seen used in attacks are countered with percussion techniques, suplex moves or sacrifice type throws. In my case, if I can think fast enough, I'm working on decreasing the circumference of my circular movement to upset the uke balance.

Have to admit though, sometimes I revert and I'm very tempted to use my trusty hammer fist.
    Luckily, this instructor probably wouldn't mind. Right now, I'm fascinated by the variety of locks I'm being shown. The challenge at my level is integrating it all and getting the body/mind thing coordinated.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach and another mma fighter called ian bone tested for a kudo black belt a while back. Which consists of full contact sparring. I dread to think what the other poor bastards felt like when, for their testthey, were suddenly fighting two elite athletes.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts