Style
    Shotokan, San Soo etc
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Machida style Shotokan Karate and MMA

I'm a huge Lyoto Machida fan, he's the one that rekindled my interest in traditional martial arts and is the reason why I train Shotokan now. I bought is his DVD instructional set and love it. I love how he teaches karatekas how to use traditional kumite techniques in continuous sparring/full contact/MMA type matches.

We are seeing more and more traditional Karate fighters make their way in full contact competition. Raymond Daniels, Stephen Thompson, Justin Scoggins, Gunnar Nelson (his striking), and to a lesser extent Michael Page (he's Lau Gar gongfu I believe). However he fights very western Karate like.

Any other traditional karate practitioners happy about this?

Im aware of Kyokushin and love it as well. Never trained in it though sadly. Countless kick boxing champions and MMA fighters have a background in it. I think it made its way into full contact before other Okinawan Karate styles because it's own style kumite is full contact and the conditioning is insane!

Ive also got Raymond Daniels sparring instructional series and really like it as well. I don't think his style though would work in the traditional JKA kumite I compete in, still fun to learn though. When I return to America I could definitely use JKA type kumite and Raymond Daniels type Kumite in freestyle TMA continuous sparring/point fighting competitions.

Sorry i rambled on way too long. Have no one to really talk to about this here in china.

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like what Machida and others have done to bring TMA to the MMA scene. I've yet to pick up his videos, but I practice a relatively hard contact version of Shotokan that owes a bit to Machida. I start my classes with a series of warm-ups that includes some conditioning I've cribbed from both Goju-ryu and Kyokushin to augment Shotokan kihon. Now that I'm in my mid-40s I definitely can't bang away four nights a week and still get to work in one piece the next day like I could 20 years ago, but I do think there is value in pressure-testing your training whatever your age, skill level or level of commitment/competition.

I'm not familiar with Raymond Daniels, but I'll chek him out.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to make karate better is to remove the kata from it.