6/11/2011 9:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shorin Ryu Help

http://www.shorinbujutsu.com/

www.Karatekicksla.com

I am trying to decide which school is best...Karate Kicks does affer BJJ and Aikido training as well...
    Can anyone give me any insight into which looks more legit? Any personal experience in either?
    Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 9:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd definitely go with the karatekicks place, they teach Shorin Ryu, Judo and Bjj, although it doesn't say who teaches Bjj...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A purple belt from Revolution BJJ out of Lafayette.
    They also have a second Dan in Aikido that teaches there.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be wary of the Judo, very wary. The head instructor apparently got his 2nd dan from a 'Shihan Robert Fatheree' no one legitimate in Judo calls themselves shihan nor is any legitimate Judo rank issued by an individual. Legitimate rank can only be issued by an organisation affiliated to the IJF.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 11:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Judo is only used to enhance the Shorin Ryu in his dojo...There aren't any strictly Judo classes...No belts for Judo

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 12:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His website states he has a 2nd dan in Judo and has a Judo class listed on the schedule for Tuesday. Regardless, if I were teaching karate technique in Judo as a supplement (no rank in karate given) it would be weird if I didn't have instructor credentials in karate. I also wouldn't want to train under an instructor who claimed credentials he didn't have (not saying the guy doesn't have them, my point is you should check because it's your time & money you're investing).

It's as easy to check as a quick as a quick phone call to
    USA Judo: (719) 866-4730. It's your training, take the initiate to call and ask if he and Robert Fatheree have Judo rank. I'm 95% sure the one time I had to check up on instructor they were able to search the databases of the other 2 legit U.S. Judo orgs (just ask if he doesn't turn up).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 1:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His site hasn't updated class times...He does not have a Judo class anymore...only BJJ on Thursday and Saturday.

He does say he incorporates a little Judo into his Karate.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 1:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlgreen View Post
    The Judo is only used to enhance the Shorin Ryu in his dojo...There aren't any strictly Judo classes...No belts for Judo
    So you want our advice on whether they're legit, but when their legitimacy is questioned you suddenly seem to be in possession of quite a bit of knowledge about their programme and the quality of their instruction.

A little bit of digging turns up that this guy

Is Robert Fatheree
    http://www.theimss.org/ROBERT%20FATHEREE.htm

I can't find any reference to him teaching at a Judo club or being associated with any form of legitimate US Judo.

The only connection I can find is via Phil Porter's notorious rank selling organisation the USMA
    http://www.mararts.org/memberlist/blackbelts/list1.htm

This bodes pretty badly for the legitimacy of their Judo and makes it look like they don't have any legitimate Judo ranking, which would generally disqualify them from teaching Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 8:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a little biased because I'm affiliated with the OSMKKF that Mike Veillon belongs to. I have met him a couple of times at weekend seminars, and he knows his stuff pretty well, at least as far as Shorin Ryu, kobudo, and tuite go. Don't know anything about his BJJ program. But I know he is very serious about his karate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/13/2011 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I have done alot of research on the two schools...However, being an aspiring martial artist with a late start, I am trying to help make sure I am not making a mistake. I watched an Aikido class (taught by black belt that has been teaching for a long time) at KK as well as a BJJ class (taught by purple belt)...Both looked very interesting to me and I think I would enjoy.

The Sensei at PF is a good teacher and his form seems to be top notch...However he really only offers Shorin Ryu and dabbles in BJJ (taught by blue belt), and some Aikido. I do believe he loves Karate and is passionate about it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast