Style
    Tae Kwon Do; Kuk Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just saying hello

I've just signed up here with Bullshido, though I've lurked for a day or two at a time on numerous occasions over the years. I've been more active on Martial Arts Planet, however, and I expect I'll run into some familiar people around here. I have a couple of questions, the answers to which I didn't readily glean from reading the various sticky'd threads. Mea Culpa, but I read only the first and last pages of these; the bulk of such threads being entertaining but frequently light on content.

I have a standard free account, and as such infer the presence of certain rules governing my use of hyperlinks. For instance, I wouldn't presume to link to a martial arts related service offering I might provide prior to upgrading my account here to business class. I don't need to read a newbie FAQ to know that doing so would be in poor taste! That aside, however, are there other such rules? If, for instance, I authored an article about a martial art I've studied and that article was hosted on a site that might be deemed competitive with Bullshido... may I link to it?

Also, I wonder if one of you could tell me what kind of banana tree I should start kicking to further my pursuit of Muy Thai excellence? You understand, of course, that my shins are already desensitized nearly completely. Also, I would like to know where in Texas I need to go to register said shins as the lethal weapons they most assuredly are.

Fear my pink fan.

Cheers,

Si

:PokerFace:

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Satori View Post
    Also, I wonder if one of you could tell me what kind of banana tree I should start kicking to further my pursuit of Muy Thai excellence? You understand, of course, that my shins are already desensitized nearly completely. Also, I would like to know where in Texas I need to go to register said shins as the lethal weapons they most assuredly are.

Fear my pink fan.
    I fear it.

Good luck finding a decent banana tree in Texas.

I wonder if you're referring to Deep Ellum, the neighborhood in Dallas? I got into a fair amount of trouble as a young man in that area.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh Deep Ellum, thats near where I work. Welcome and best Muay Thai is probably Siam Star, close to you though would be Impact MMA.

http://impactbjj.com/default.aspx

It's in Oak Cliff.

Also JNP Deep Ellum is pretty hood now, but filled with some fun live music places.

Style
    Tae Kwon Do; Kuk Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I wonder if you're referring to Deep Ellum, the neighborhood in Dallas? I got into a fair amount of trouble as a young man in that area.
    Indeed, sir, the very same!

[

I see that you are a resident of Austin. Home of the Lone Star Open! *heh heh* On a more serious note, home to my favorite Aikido/Budo practitioner and teacher, and home to the best 7 Star Mantis school in the Southern US, or so I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    ...Deep Ellum is pretty hood now, but filled with some fun live music places.
    I'm assuming that by hood, you mean black and poor. I'm afraid to break it to you, but Ellum has always been both! I find it neither blacker nor poorer today than when I snuck out on school nights to see Course of Empire and Toadies play Trees. In fact, it is probably less so!

Thanks for the link, mate. I'll be sure to shop around the recommended school for a shrubbery. Of bananas =)

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm assuming that by hood, you mean black and poor. I'm afraid to break it to you, but Ellum has always been both! I find it neither blacker nor poorer today than when I snuck out on school nights to see Course of Empire and Toadies play Trees. In fact, it is probably less so!
    Wow, I have the first two Course Of Empire CD's. I also went and saw them live during the 90's in Dallas, possibly Deep Ellum. Talk about a trip down memory lane.

And yeah, DKR, for decades Deep Ellum has been the type of place where the cool kids go to party at night, despite being a tad bit on the economically depressed side.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    Tae Kwon Do; Kuk Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I have the first two Course Of Empire CD's. I also went and saw them live during the 90's in Dallas, possibly Deep Ellum. Talk about a trip down memory lane.
    You can get all of their music in mp3 format free of charge and with their blessing at http://courseofempire.com. Mike Graff still plays guitar in Ellum, and is still an innovative genius. Chad, the original of the two drummers, can often be found at Curtain Club, Renos, or his girlfriend's shop, "In Accord." Alas, the band hasn't gigged since '98.

Its a shame so few people remember them. They were, IMNSHO, the most talented act the United States produced in the '90s. Their live shows were like getting machine gunned with epiphany bullets. /nostalgia

I've only been back in Dallas for a little over a year now. My most recent training, in Kuk Sool Won, cannot be continued here. I'm considering Judo, as my throwing techniques are possibly my weakest. Any recommendations for Dallas area schools?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

And yeah, DKR, for decades Deep Ellum has been the type of place where the cool kids go to party at night, despite being a tad bit on the economically depressed side.
    I see. I just assumed it would've changed since the days of Davie Crockett and Sam Houston. (ha haaa you're old) We've moved the party to uptown now FYI.

Judo? None near you that I'm aware of.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido and the madhouse.

Pay no attention to JNP.. we just let him hang around these parts because we feel sorry for him.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Tae Kwon Do; Kuk Sool
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    We've moved the party to uptown now FYI.
    I try to weigh the cons of both locations. In Ellum, we have aggressive panhandlers and muggers; crackheads and hobos. Frequently fresh out of the penitentiary, and experiences up close with them can be smelly, frightening, sickening, and downright unpleasant. In Uptown, you have trust fund kids. Frequently fresh out of humility and any semblance of good sense; experiences with them can be equally nauseating, but when they go south and you find yourself forced to defend your person, you'll be the one in jail because they have family lawyers on retainer ;.)

I avoid uptown like the plague!

That said, thanks for the BJJ/Muy Thai school recommendation. I haven't trained Thai boxing (or with Thai players) in over 15 years, and BJJ doesn't really appeal to me. But after reading the site you linked, I can say that John Brink sounds like a class act and my kind of dude.

Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a standard free account, and as such infer the presence of certain rules governing my use of hyperlinks. For instance, I wouldn't presume to link to a martial arts related service offering I might provide prior to upgrading my account here to business class. I don't need to read a newbie FAQ to know that doing so would be in poor taste! That aside, however, are there other such rules? If, for instance, I authored an article about a martial art I've studied and that article was hosted on a site that might be deemed competitive with Bullshido... may I link to it?
    Supporting Membership costs one big Andrew Jackson per year.

Link your article. Should be no problem. This isn't MAP.