Thread: Training Abroad

Style
    Wing Chun; Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Abroad

Hey guys. I was just curious, not that i'm planning to train abroad anytime soon. But i am curious, if i ever do. what will i need, or need to look out for? has anyone here trained outside your country?

you know, general noob type questions.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your question is too broad and lacking in specifics for anyone to give any meaningful answers to.

State a style, country and time frame for your training abroad as well as your objectives for training abroad. Then people will be able to give you meaningful responses, because at the moment all you can be given is MAP style meaningless platitudes.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't have the dedication to train hard locally going abroad is not going to help.

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    If you don't have the dedication to train hard locally going abroad is not going to help.
    This. I've been told this by guys that have trained in thailand. If you're looking for Chun, which I know you are, go to Hong Kong. If you're looking for Krav, go to Gaza, disguise yourself as a palestinian woman, and walk through a checkpoint.

Style
    Wing Chun; Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Your question is too broad and lacking in specifics for anyone to give any meaningful answers to.

State a style, country and time frame for your training abroad as well as your objectives for training abroad. Then people will be able to give you meaningful responses, because at the moment all you can be given is MAP style meaningless platitudes.

i was thinking like a year in thailand learning muay thai
    or maybe china. i've seen some sites that accepts foreign student train in an actual shaolin monastery.

and thanks for the advise, i'll try to be more specific next time

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your uncertainty on what you actually want to do is a big hint that your not ready to do anything, what if you get to thailand and realize you hate muay thai and the heat and humidity there? What if you go to Hong Kong and find the language barrier to strong?

Pick a martial art, train it, then consider exotic adventures.

If I would have went straight to Japan after choosing Judo, I would have been **** out of a luck, as its a week later and I've decided Judo isn't for me, im only out 140 bucks, you will be out THOUSANDS.

I have the option to go do mma stuff now, but you will be lucky to have any spare money after an impromptu international flight home.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had a few friends that have trained Thai in Thailand. As far as I am aware it is a pretty simple opperation to do. Sign up at a camp. Fly to Thailand. Train.

I will ask them if it is more complicated than that.