Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 5:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the most part, the two black belts that usually run training sessions prefer I call them "Coach".

They usually call us by our first names, although a few of us have nicknames.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 7:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bloke who runs the club I go to does not seem to care much about it, I have never heard anyone call him Sensei either, it is a pretty informal club but with a lot of respect for each other and for the instructers, as the old dudes do know their stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 9:25am

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The judo instructors at my club like to be called "Coach". And almost all of us liked to be called by our nicknames.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 11:30am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach actually insists we call him by his first name.
    But everything in Israel is informal, hell in the army you call your superiors by their first names.
    Everybody refers to everybody by their 1st name, unless you have an interesting sounding last name, then that becomes your name for ever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 11:31am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on the trial lessons that I had, the instructor preferred sensei or coach. Out of class was just the normal name (or nick name). It was a nice club, the art just didn't suit me.

-Ken

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 12:20pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't more heavily skewed towards first name, all 3 judo clubs I've trained at have been very informal and everyone's been on a first name basis.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call both my instructors by their first names. I think they'd take the piss if anyone tried to call them Sensei...

I get called "Late again eh...?"

(I work rotating shifts and cut meat for a living. I don't like showing up, straight from work smelling of Death... So, i go home and change first, which usually makes me 5 mins late.)
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 3:45pm

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only ever trained with swedish and norwegian instructors (judo and karate respectively), and we're quite informal up here in the cold north. First names is usually where it's at.

Regards,
    Lars

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 3:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK so I started this because we've recently had a krotty dan grade join us and because its smaller classes due to exams and he's a noob I've been working with him one on one more than I do normally with a noob.

It took me a while to notice but everytime I gave him a tip of piece of advice he would say 'hai sempai' when I finally noticed/ realised that he was 'hai sempai-ing' me after every tip I was like... what did you just say. Then he told me and I laughed and told him he didn't need to worry about any of that stuff.

It got me thinking for all the bitching and crying you here from people about Judo being 'strict' for opinions on white gi, bowing etc... its actually pretty informal when it comes to relationship between instructor and student.

Even modern MAs like BJJ seem to have quite a strong under current of refering to your instructor by some form of honourific usually 'professor'. There was a BJJ club that opened up in my home town so when I was on holiday I went to it. On their website it said that you had to refer to the black belt as 'professor'. I loled, because I interact with people who are genuine professors on a daily basis and even they don't demand I call them professor. So I sure as hell wasn't going to call some guy 'professor' just because he was a BJJ BB.

On to my other impression I have gathered about Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't more heavily skewed towards first name, all 3 judo clubs I've trained at have been very informal and everyone's been on a first name basis.
    That across the pond its not uncommon for instructors to request that the adults that they teach call them 'coach' or 'sensei' whereas its basically unheard of for a Judo coach teaching adults in the UK to be refered to by anything other than their first name.

There seems to me to be a culture in Judo that if you're truly deserving of the honourific 'sensei' then that will quickly become apparent and you have no need to request or demand that you be called it.

I don't know about other dan grades, but personally I feel uncomfortable being called sensei and when I take a class and receive the rei ask the top of the line to modify the rei to 'kiotsuke rei' instead of 'kiotuske sensei rei'.

Anyway ramble/rant over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 5:37pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    That across the pond its not uncommon for instructors to request that the adults that they teach call them 'coach' or 'sensei' whereas its basically unheard of for a Judo coach teaching adults in the UK to be refered to by anything other than their first name.
    I was going to mention that maybe it was UK/US thing but kitkatninja's post seemed to contradict it, exception that proves the pudding etc.

I agree on academics not demanding honorifics - one of my uni tutors flipped out when another student (who went to Eton) called him "sir" out of habit. I think I probably don't see "professor" as a trademark of academics to the extent you seem to, I don't have an issue with BJJ using professor to refer to a senior rank, although demanding its use is another issue.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast