223530 Bullies, 3741 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 6 of 6
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/10/2011 1:31am


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    New RMA Blog

    Hey all,

    I've decided that I would fulfill a desire of mine to make and
    maintain a blog for not only martial pursuits, but physical culture in
    general. This is not an ARMA affiliated blog, due to my general lack of political correctness and my overall crassness. I also write a bit about non-RMA material like stick fighting, weight lifting, and love of alcohol.

    I tend to update it after I spar, so hopefully I will have a new post within the next week or two. Hope some of you get something out of reading it.

    http://stoutsandswords.blogspot.com/
  2. Son of Thunder is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    117

    Posted On:
    6/10/2011 1:53pm


     Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi-

    Some good stuff there.

    I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll just toss in my two cents regarding your June 2nd post on sword techniques with a stick. When I lived in Ontario, I trained with AEMMA, focusing primarily on Liberi's Flos Duellatorum. Currently, I'm working with a stick-intensive art, and I find that much of Liberi's "arming sword" material transfers perfectly (though I agree that anything relying on the hilt for defense or offense wouldn't be advisable) as Vigny's stickfighting style is derived from European swordplay.

    Keep up the good work.
  3. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/11/2011 7:00pm


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Thunder View Post
    Hi-

    Some good stuff there.

    I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll just toss in my two cents regarding your June 2nd post on sword techniques with a stick. When I lived in Ontario, I trained with AEMMA, focusing primarily on Liberi's Flos Duellatorum. Currently, I'm working with a stick-intensive art, and I find that much of Liberi's "arming sword" material transfers perfectly (though I agree that anything relying on the hilt for defense or offense wouldn't be advisable) as Vigny's stickfighting style is derived from European swordplay.

    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the kind words. I've a translation of Flos Duellatorum, but I haven't particularly used much from the section on the sword in one hand. Specifically what do you find most useful? Personally I think the sword in two hands material is very good for stick fighting. The various ways of grabbing your opponent's weapon and his arms are very useful, especially when seeking to close the distance and wrestle strongly.
  4. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,771

    Posted On:
    6/12/2011 12:20am

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I've a translation of Flos Duellatorum, but I haven't particularly used much from the section on the sword in one hand. Specifically what do you find most useful? Personally I think the sword in two hands material is very good for stick fighting. The various ways of grabbing your opponent's weapon and his arms are very useful, especially when seeking to close the distance and wrestle strongly.
    I agree. Even though the Vigny/Bartitsu canne (36" of rattan tipped with a steel ball handle) can hit like a mace under ideal circumstances, it's still a stick. Glancing blows, partially smothered strikes etc. won't necessarily have much stopping power, and it's very easy for a no-rules stick fight to turn into a grappling match. At close quarters, half-swording techniques, unterhalten, pommel strikes, grips etc. can translate very effectively to the cane.
  5. Son of Thunder is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    117

    Posted On:
    6/12/2011 9:02am


     Style: Bartitsu, Judo noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordschlag View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I've a translation of Flos Duellatorum, but I haven't particularly used much from the section on the sword in one hand. Specifically what do you find most useful?
    In my experience, Liberi's arming sword material has worked very well for me in stick-vs-stick situations, beating and deflecting incoming strikes in such a way that you are well-positioned for a counter-attack.
  6. Mordschlag is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    193

    Posted On:
    6/15/2011 10:59pm


     Style: ARMA, Antagonistics

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Thunder View Post
    In my experience, Liberi's arming sword material has worked very well for me in stick-vs-stick situations, beating and deflecting incoming strikes in such a way that you are well-positioned for a counter-attack.
    I suppose I can see that. I tend to prefer breaking through guards and grappling more than any other strategy, so that is why I tend to stick to his sword in two hands since his multiple weapon grapples are extremely useful for ending the fight fast. His one handed sword grapples are good too though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.