Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/11/2011 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Because they blow cigarette smoke in your face as they taunt you to get in their guard?
    Nah because BJJ makes you weak. It reduces your sense of humour, makes you more precious about meaningless stuff, makes you more concerned with 'restecp' and all sorts of associated faggotry which we don't have time for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 4:18am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Nah because BJJ makes you weak. It reduces your sense of humour, makes you more precious about meaningless stuff, makes you more concerned with 'restecp' and all sorts of associated faggotry which we don't have time for.

How dare you bro!?!?! We all know what happened when Helio fought Kimura. The headlines said it all; "Vitoria de Helio Gracie. Yea thats right, and dont forget it. You wanna see round two give me a call. Well... Not me, but this guy I know... He'll **** you up, word. Im gonna go create a newt account for a completely different reason right now.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 5:22am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeksWWAC View Post
    I wanna hear some stories of confidence (arrogance?) in training that quickly got Seoi Nage'd back to reality either on the mat or in TEH STREETs.
    I have another one for you. In our club when the kids get a bit big for the small ones they move up to the senior class. The last batch moved up when started judo (3 years ago) when they were 13. They were all pretty small and of a strength you would expect from a 13 year old. My normal game plan when I fought them was to become defensive and alow them to attack hold them off for a while and then see if I could get sneak in a throw or break thier hold down. All great fun...until recently.
    I change the night I train and so have not seen the two remaining lads for 6 months or so, and happened that our paths crossed a few weeks ago. I found myself in front of one, ready for ground work. This guy (15 going on 16)was a bit gangleing and uncoordinated and easy enough to over power, so we begun to fight and I went down under to him and kinda let him get me into kesagatame and consolidate the hold. Then in my arrogance said "Are you ready for me?". And that was it, try as I might I could not escape...
    I was shocked, stuned, embaressed, and then pretty damn proud of him!
    He was vey pleased with himself and reminded me frequently of the "score" for the rest of the session.
    I have not seen him since but I am certain next time I do his first words will be "1-0"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 5:50am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple months ago I walk into the All Levels class at Gracie Barra and there's this guy there who is brand spanking new. He had creases in his white belt for God's sakes! So I partner up with him for rolling and I ask him how long hes been coming, to which he informs me its his first day. I plan to go easy on him and not **** up his day so that he doesnt quit after his intro class is over. We roll and I let him get side control and he goes for a what I think is a head lock, I mentally chuckle at his noobosity and then quickly realize its actually Kesa Gatame about a split second before I realize Im tapping to armbar.

"Where did you learn that?(out of breath)" I gasp.

"Oh, Im a Judo brown belt (ikkyu)"

First clue shoulda been that it was his first day and he wasnt wearing a loaner gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 1:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Just got back from judo. In the coarse of events I was paired with a new girl. We are doing some standing, fighting away, get a few nice gentle throws in. We get to situation where i have my head down, next thing I know she has me in a choke and that is that! When I got my voice back I congratulated her and kept my head up for the rest of the fight.
    Hahaha, that was me...

You forgot to share the fact that I'm 20 kilograms lighter than you AND I was suffering from vertigo at the time...LOL...

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/01/2011 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil'Wolverine View Post
    Hahaha, that was me...

You forgot to share the fact that I'm 20 kilograms lighter than you AND I was suffering from vertigo at the time...LOL...
    Shudup!... your making me look bad in front of the guys ;)

Posted On:
    7/02/2011 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeksWWAC View Post
    Ive been training BJJ for a year and a half and not once have we done live throws. Weve done a some compliant drilling, but Since Ive been going Ive never started rolling from standing. So I told my proffessor that I wanted to compete at Nationals this year and today when I stepped on the mat, surprise surprise, after showing only one technique Proffessor said pair up and work throws for the rest of the class switching partners every five minutes, AND NO PULLING GUARD.

Heres the kicker, Ive been secretly training Judo for 4 months, which makes me still terrible of course, but going against a lot of people who dont do Randori twice a week like I do I figure its going to be easy day. So about four double leg take downs, two fire man carries, and one really surprising Ippon Seoi Nage later, I realised that I pretty much blow at stand up. Now I did get two sacrifice throws, an Uchi Gari's and one half assed seoi nage myself, but it was hardly the blowout that I was expecting.

I wanna hear some stories of confidence (arrogance?) in training that quickly got Seoi Nage'd back to reality either on the mat or in TEH STREETs.
    It always kind of blew my mind how at my Kyokushin dojo back around the turn of the century we were constantly taking each other down in sparring. Each sparring session was complete in a way: from punching, kicking, takedowns to submissions. I have been able to take down judo black belts fairly often (you always wonder how much is them just letting you have it, though. These guys are more concerned with teaching than anything else) but my time at Gracie Barra we practiced a few compliance take-downs and that was it.

Granted, they pointed out that they didn't practice them to much because of the injuries. I absolutely agree with that. It is much safer to roll than spar standing, but the result was that the only thing I had to do to win was stand up. At times I would here the professor say "stand up with him" and then I would just flip them over.

The judo guys never work the transitions, it seems, the the BJJ guys at the lower levels never work on takedowns.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    7/02/2011 11:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    The judo guys never work the transitions, it seems,
    I was going to write a massive rant about how this isn't true and then I realised that actualy a majority of recreational players don't practice it enough and then I was going to write a massive rant about that.

Then I got depressed.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/02/2011 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    should be in sumo, not judo. that's a big mf.
    No ****, but he's not in Judo thank god. Not with his behavioral problems.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/02/2011 11:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    You know, Failing Judo since 2008
    "Fighting away" with "the new girl".
    Falling for Judo since 1980