• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 9:39pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AS of yesterday (6/6/10) I am studying Muay Thai :)

As the title suggests, yesterday was my very first Muay Thai lesson. I'm sore all over like never before. Somehow, I have no idea, I ended up working out muscles in my neck because they're sore along with my abs, particularly my lower abs, and my biceps which got a hell of a workout holding mitts up for my training partner to kick. The class was great. I wish I could go more often than 2 days a week like I will be for now.

Any strikers have tips for a Muay Thai newbie?

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:35pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most useful trick I've learned? Keep a bag of frozen vegetables in the freezer. They conform to thighs and shins way better than a normal icepack does, and god knows you're going to need it. I find corn is best for this.

Okay, really, you're so new at it that there's not a whole lot that we can tell you here if you don't already have at least a little bit of the basics. As a raw beginner, the most important thing you can do right now is to listen to your coach, and do what he tells you. The next biggest thing, is to not be afraid to ask him questions if you don't get something, or if you need him to run over something with you again, or whatever. I've asked some dumb questions, but I'd rather have my coach explain it while we're hitting pads instead of getting my nose busted up in sparring because I didn't ask when I had the chance. Also, if you're really into it and you don't have your own gear, look into picking some up. Gym stuff is gross. I mean, so is your own, but at least you know where it came from.

Seriously though, I'm not kidding about the frozen vegetables.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:53pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. Make sure you really commit to learning the techniques... especially in the beginning I'd believe it to be important to know how to throw a jab, cross, low kick etc. correctly. There are seemingly small things that can make a difference, so if you feel like you don't really get a technique, ask your coach about it. There's no use in getting the stuff wrong in the beginning because it might be harder to correct it when you got used to your wrong way of doing stuff.

My advise would also be... as a rule of thumb, listen to basically nobody but your coach and especially not to other noobs.

Try getting into light sparring rather early and while sparring, do it really like kind of a game where you don't spaz out but try to use the techniques you've learned correctly, make rather light contact as opposed to trying to knock your partner out.

Also: don't close your eyes when throwing a punch, try not to learn to turn away when getting punched... something to get used to.

Just a few thoughts.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, the most important thing: have fun.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 6/10/2011 6:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:59pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, before you start sparring, this is kind of a must-read: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99399