Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 12:08am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan3451 View Post
    And if this is a timed contest between you and your son and in the five minutes you cant ever land those two power blows needed to drive the nail into the wood, then my money is on your son. And if you and your son have this contest ten times, you may win a few, but I think consistency will prevail. Also, I think your son has more power than you give him credit for. So this analogy is slightly skewed.

:)

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 2:07am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmafan3451 View Post
    What I like about Mir's striking is that I think he does a good job of using all forms and he is able to combine them fluidly for some great combos that you dont see too often from guys like Carwin and Dos Santos. Carwin's striking to me is just on a very basic level. Dos Santos is getting wins without using a lot of combos-knees-elbows, which is fine. But I think if he started using them more it would take his striking game to the next level. He's got more speed and power than Mir, but I still think it would a closer fight than Dos Santos/ Carwin
    Results speak volumes. Basic works, when applied with force and conviction. That's why people drill basics. Jab jab cross, jab cross hook, uppercut left hook right cross, etc etc. These things work without lifting a leg, which is important in many situations.

.....So no, I dont consider them part of technical or "pure" striking.
    so what you meant is: Mir is a better pure striker than Carwin? I understand that, but I still think you're wrong. Mir looks more graceful perhaps...but it aint about looks. Effective fighting is about results...not looks. Carwin uses striking more effectively than Mir IMO.

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 10:09am

Style: bjj boxing nube

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Mir's striking abilities are being judged purely on whether or not he used striking to finish the fight, KO or TKO. There's plenty of fights where he out struck his opponent but then finished his fight via submission. For example, Mir out struck Cheik Kongo who is an awesome striker. The reason he was able to choke him out so quickly is because he was already 3/4 unconscious from a Mir left hook. Out of his last 4 fights that hes won, his ability to out strike his opponent has played a significant role.

:)

Posted On:
    6/18/2011 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, the one's he lost, also were telling about his striking. Frank Mir since 2006/7, a summation.

Decision w/ Roy Nelson (win), KO over Mirko (3rd round), pummelled by Carwin (3:48 rd 1), Beat Kongo (guillotine 1:12 1st rd), crushed by Lesnar (1:48 rd 2), beat big Nog (1:57 rd 2 TKO), and prior to that Subbed Lesnar, and Antoni Hardonk.

Prior to that Mir was TKO'd by Brandon Vera (1:09 1st rd). Went the distance w/ Dan Christison, and was TKO'd by Marcio Cruz @ 4:10 of the 1st.

I thought his striking in the Nog fight, looked good. Gettting Kongo was also very smooth, and efficient.

Getting KTFO by Lesnar (2nd time), Carwin, Brandon Vera, and Marcio Cruz doesn't really represent what his striking's all about, is what you're saying?

Losing so badly to Lesnar, who was mauled by Cain, shows where he is in the striking game, to me. Cain & JDS & Fedor & Overeem & others >Carwin > Brock > Mir >Kongo & post-EPIC Mirko.

I still think he gets creamed, not using his grappling at all, by many of the top 20 HW's. That would imply his grappling is shoring up his striking, which I believe. He's still a top guy, but not the very top.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789