Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 1:21pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets get it examined by a sports physician and see if MRI is needed. Could be as simple as a patellar dislocation that popped out and back in. That would be a loud pop and very painful but recover pretty quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 2:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I tore my ACL, the orthopedic surgeon I saw (a Navy captain) asked two questions before ordering an MRI:

1. "Did you hear a loud pop?"
    2. "Did you swear?"

Funny guy.

Anyway... I was able to resume training normally about five months after ACL replacement surgery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 3:13pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I happen to have an appointment on the 15th with an orthopedist that I dislike. I hurt my other knee months ago, he poked at it a little bit and said to come back in a month and a half to see if it needed an MRI. Nice, eh? And then he looked me up and down and saw that I was a fat woman in her 30s and said "since you have gotten injured in karate, you should quit that and take up something low impact like swimming... or maybe yoga or something."

**** you guy, I'm a fighter.

Anyway, so I have that appointment with him, which I was planning to cancel. I have an appointment with an orthopetic surgeon on the 20th now, and this one is the woman that everyone from my dojo sees, and she has done surgery on a few of them. The 20th is a long long ways away, but I'm still thinking I should go with her instead. They love her at the dojo, and we have some people who have had terrible injuries come back from them with her help. So.

Heh, my primary care physician is out sick, and they have no appointments for me there, so I am waiting for them to call me back with the next possible appointment.

Once I see this orthopedist on the 20th, I'll get to wait until there's an MRI machine free somewhere, who knows how long that will take. Then, likely surgery.

I can't even put weight on that leg today, and turning the wrong way in bed is agony.

**** this though, I've been here before. Way worse than here. 4 years ago my back was so badly injured that I could not roll onto my side without assistance and I wasn't supposed to be able to ever walk again. 2.5 years ago I started working with horses, 2 years ago I started learning how to ride, and 1 year ago I took up Kyokushin. I'm a stubborn bitch who will cockpunch "that's not possible" and I will push and endure though this. OSU.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 3:19pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realize you were fat. In that case, Tai Chi.

Srsly, all the good advice has been given - see a good doc. Get an MRI if possible. Don't be a dumbass by training too hard too soon.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 4:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, yes, I'm a fattie Mcfattersdaughter. Gained a fuckton when I was almost entirely immobile for a long time. Slowly been working it off in Kyokushin, and eating an obsessively restrictive diet. Atkins had nothing on this damned thing. But it has been working, 2 pounds a week. :p Not being able to work out hard is gonna suck though.

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    I happen to have an appointment on the 15th with an orthopedist that I dislike. I hurt my other knee months ago, he poked at it a little bit and said to come back in a month and a half to see if it needed an MRI. Nice, eh? And then he looked me up and down and saw that I was a fat woman in her 30s and said "since you have gotten injured in karate, you should quit that and take up something low impact like swimming... or maybe yoga or something."

**** you guy, I'm a fighter.
    **** HIM. Go see a sports oriented doctor. One who won't say "Well don't do that" when you say "It hurts when I do this"

Someone like the doctor you talk about next

Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Anyway, so I have that appointment with him, which I was planning to cancel. I have an appointment with an orthopetic surgeon on the 20th now, and this one is the woman that everyone from my dojo sees, and she has done surgery on a few of them. The 20th is a long long ways away, but I'm still thinking I should go with her instead. They love her at the dojo, and we have some people who have had terrible injuries come back from them with her help. So.

Heh, my primary care physician is out sick, and they have no appointments for me there, so I am waiting for them to call me back with the next possible appointment.

Once I see this orthopedist on the 20th, I'll get to wait until there's an MRI machine free somewhere, who knows how long that will take. Then, likely surgery.

I can't even put weight on that leg today, and turning the wrong way in bed is agony.

**** this though, I've been here before. Way worse than here. 4 years ago my back was so badly injured that I could not roll onto my side without assistance and I wasn't supposed to be able to ever walk again. 2.5 years ago I started working with horses, 2 years ago I started learning how to ride, and 1 year ago I took up Kyokushin. I'm a stubborn bitch who will cockpunch "that's not possible" and I will push and endure though this. OSU.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha yeah, I just fired that doctor. The lady said "so, just cancel for now?" "No, I'm going to go see a sports medicine doctor." "Oh I see." :p

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't start taking advice from these dickheads. Unless there is a "MD" somewhere on Bullshido, the majority of you need to shut the **** up.

If your advice is anything other than "see a doctor", shut the **** up.

Listen to the people at your dojo who have all seen the same doctor. Best people to listen to.

Fucking Kyokushin.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 5:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh yeah, we are insane. :p

I have an appointment with our dojo doctor, and managed to get an appointment with my PCP for tomorrow. I'll probably get an x-ray ordered, because they always do want one of those first. Maybe if I play my cards right I can get him to order an MRI so that by the time I get to the orthopedist, I can just give her the MRI results along with the x-ray, and then we can make plans for surgery right away, if that's what I need.

I'm gonna get another bigass badass scar, heh!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 7:35am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Evergrey,

Kudos to you for hanging in there and trying to get something done. Don't let the dorks get you down just because you are a little older and a littler heavier. At least you are doing something more than sitting on the couch and I applaud you for it. Crappler hit it dead on, too. Everybody wants to second guess and take cheap shots. Don't let them get you down. You know what to do and you are taking control. You got this!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast