Thread: Oakland JKD

Style
    Boxing & starting out JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oakland JKD

Didn't see my other thread about the same thing posted in the topic queue, so I hope you guys don't think I'm trolling or anything.

Hello! I was talking to my doctor today, and he recommended I check out Oakland JKD out in Hayward. I did a thread search on it here on the site, and didn't see too much on the place, so I was wondering what your thoughts and experiences were. Is it legit?

http://www.oaklandjkd.com/Taoofgungfumain.htm
    Last edited by Miles_Whiskey; 7/21/2011 12:03am at . Reason: Forgot to post the website

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your doctor recommended this? Why?

Is it "legit" what? Legit "original" JKD of the type Bruce Lee was practicing after the Wong Jak Man fight, which led to Lee dumping most of the Chun? Likely, big hunks of it are the same. Is that what you want to learn—if so, why? The answers to those questions really determine whether or not the school is "legit."

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my doctor recomended this place because I told him I was looking for a good place to learn an effective martial art. The reason I asked if it was legit is because alto of people claim to teach the original JKD, but from what I've read up, that doesn't seem to be the case. I just don't want to jump into something head first only to realise later I wasted my time annd alot of money. Sorry if I came off sounding like a dick.

The reasons I want to learn JKD are to defend myself more effectively, and persue an interest that I've always had in the martial arts now that I have some extra time and money to put into it.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's probably "original" (or "Oakland era") JKD, though there is nothing all that special about it. Bruce Lee made it look good because he was a physical outlier. If you're a fan of Lee's and are interested in it, go for it. That's sufficient reason, though of course you will end up trapped in a room with even bigger fans than you for several hours a week.

How well you can defend yourself with it is another question, one that has more to do with how the teacher teaches—if he really has the students mix it up in sparring—than who created the art.

Try a few classes and see.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do. Thanks for the reply, by the way.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell us how it goes!