Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 1:52pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Doesn't surprise me, the quality of most blue belts has gone down considerably over the past several years.
    They give them out too quickly, probably to keep people from quitting. It was a big deal when I got my blue. And people were already getting them in half the time. It wouldn't be so bad if it stopped there, but the standard is likely to keep sliding.

And I think it has. I sustained 5 a week practice and got my purple in just over 3 years. My coach tortured me for that damn thing. And getting one in three years was an accomplishment. Every one I talk to now got one in 3.

The ranks are becoming more watered down in order of least importance, and I don't think it will stop when it takes 5 to get a black. We are headed to TKD town.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 6/10/2011 1:59pm at .
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 1:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And to that end, we must educate the munchkins.

Chunchun. Just jamming your hand between someone's legs like a drunken frat boy is not a guard pass. It is not even a situationally valid guard pass like the gracie gift. If you have the base and posture established to "safely" caress the thighs of your "partner", you have the base and posture to attempt a guard break. Hell, try the gracie gift if you're hell bent on doing something dangerous. At least, situational or not, it's valid when done under the right circumstances (base and posture, of course).

If you can sit up tall and proud witout getting knocked over, you can attempt a real guard break.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 2:09pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post
    They give them out too quickly, probably to keep people from quitting. It was a big deal when I got my blue. And people were already getting them in half the time. It wouldn't be so bad if it stopped there, but the standard is likely to keep sliding.

And I think it has. I sustained 5 a week practice and got my purple in just over 3 years. My coach tortured me for that damn thing. And getting one in three years was an accomplishment. Every one I talk to now got one in 3.

The ranks are becoming more watered down in order of least importance, and I don't think it will stop when it takes 5 to get a black. We are headed to TKD town.
    So, does that break down to , how long does it take an MA to go from quality to quantity? The answer being , two generations, within 10 years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 2:23pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous View Post

Yeah that is what seems to happening now. I don't give out a blue belt unless they have trained for 2 years. At my academy we train hard and roll hard but unfortunately some quit. I even require my white belts to learn basic boxing as a requirement to promote. Just the basic four punches and the defensive movement such as parrying, bobbing and weaving and slipping. Of course spar once in a while.

People tell me that I am crazy for doing so because boxing is not part of BJJ. Hey I want my guys to be able to learn to fight for self defense reasons. I could care less how many tournaments you win if you can't stop someone from kicking your ass in a street fight then you are wasting your time and money.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 2:37pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We (at least in America) live in a culture of instant gratification. Many people will substitute immediate perceived gain over long-term actual gain.

I think some MA instructors are going that route - even good teachers. They've codified their curriculum so that they can export it for sale to a dozen / hundred / thousand schools. Once a student can check off that they "know" the 44 blue belt techniques, they get a belt. The problem is that "knowing" a technique is such a subjective measure.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Yeah that is what seems to happening now. I don't give out a blue belt unless they have trained for 2 years. At my academy we train hard and roll hard but unfortunately some quit. I even require my white belts to learn basic boxing as a requirement to promote. Just the basic four punches and the defensive movement such as parrying, bobbing and weaving and slipping. Of course spar once in a while.

People tell me that I am crazy for doing so because boxing is not part of BJJ. Hey I want my guys to be able to learn to fight for self defense reasons. I could care less how many tournaments you win if you can't stop someone from kicking your ass in a street fight then you are wasting your time and money.
    DAMN!!! Here I thought I was building a squad of super Jits guys by making them learn boxing,Judo, and rally basic Muay Thai in order to advance.
    I already got the "that's not BJJ" thing but I pointed out that in the Gracie Barra curriculum basic strikes and throws are there I'm just taking it a bit further.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    DAMN!!! Here I thought I was building a squad of super Jits guys by making them learn boxing,Judo, and rally basic Muay Thai in order to advance.
    I already got the "that's not BJJ" thing but I pointed out that in the Gracie Barra curriculum basic strikes and throws are there I'm just taking it a bit further.
    Lol.....my curriculum consist of self defense, Vale-Tudo and competition techniques so they have a lot to learn. I do offer Muay Thai but I don't make it a requirement just the boxing.
    Last edited by Team Python; 6/10/2011 4:07pm at .

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 4:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Besides baiting is pretty easy to do against other blue and whitebelts. Its just not a good life long strategy.
    Baiting will get you in trouble when someone takes the bait but doesn't do what you thought they would with it.

I used to bait with an armbar to facilitate a guard pass. With my titanium joint straight armbars don't hurt. HOWEVER any bent or twisting locks hurt like a bitch. Was rolling with a BB and baited him. He took the bait and put me in an Americana from his armbar setup. I stopped using that method.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Lol.....my curriculum consist of self defense, Vale-Tudo and competition techniques so they have a lot to learn. I do offer Muay Thai but I don't make it a requirement just the boxing.
    I mainly focus on self defense because that's really what most people come for. For Blue they need to know the 4 Boxing, 2 Muay Thai kicks (Lead leg teep, rear leg roundhouse), Judo first two groups of the gokyo. We also have a "Fun Day" where it all comes together.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    I mainly focus on self defense because that's really what most people come for. For Blue they need to know the 4 Boxing, 2 Muay Thai kicks (Lead leg teep, rear leg roundhouse), Judo first two groups of the gokyo. We also have a "Fun Day" where it all comes together.
    Nice.....that is what mostly I get as well. People that just want to learn how to protect themselves. Once in a while I will get wannabee MMA fighter but they don't last long....lol
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast