Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We just happen to have a forum that has a couple of really awesome videos dealing specifically with this issue!
    James Clingerman Is a Pimp!

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeksWWAC View Post
    what was wrong with my post? The forum philosophy of STFU and train I get, but if there was something wrong with the technique in my post then I would like to hear it.
    You're saying you underhook, gable grip, and rock your opponent until he's sitting up and you are upright, so you can attempt to stand?
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:38pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what was wrong with my post? The forum philosophy of STFU and train I get, but if there was something wrong with the technique in my post then I would like to hear it.
    Aargh. Your description sucked because you do not understand the underlying mechanics of the pass. Also, see Tenebrous' post. If a purple belt doesn't understand what you're trying to say, what do you think the odds are that a white belt will?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:46pm

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I do (and Im a beginnner as well) is when my opponent sits up I pummel under his arms and gable grip (S grip if hes much bigger than me), lift my butt off the mat and drive him forward back towards the mat, and then ill usually stand up and start trying to pass. but that being said if youre putting a lot of pressure on his hip or stomach with your hand he probably wont be able to sit up in the first place.
    Maybe I was unclear in the post, but when he sits up to sweep i underhook and gable and drive him back down so his back is flat on the mat, not help him sit up. I dont mind **** talking in YMAS, but if my post had bad info lemme know, i didnt wanna come off like I knew the perfect counter, just what was taught to me, and what has been working at the white/blue belt level in my class. The only video I could find on youtube of this technique was the counter to the defense, so the initial sweep and the defense is the only part that is relevant, not the counter.
    Last edited by CheeksWWAC; 6/09/2011 10:47pm at . Reason: added video

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing saving your dumb ass from getting Kimuraed or omoplataed or swept anyways every time that happens is that often enough it's against someone who is equally as noobish as you are. That counter in the video you found, that's what happens when you hug people who are trying to situp sweep you.
    Seriously, your advice was terrible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Aargh. Your description sucked because you do not understand the underlying mechanics of the pass. Also, see Tenebrous' post. If a purple belt doesn't understand what you're trying to say, what do you think the odds are that a white belt will?
    Yea, english is my first language but Im from New York so it doesnt count, shoulda just posted the video in the first place, or better yet just stfu. My bad bro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus, everytime I reply someone else jumps in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    The only thing saving your dumb ass from getting Kimuraed or omoplataed or swept anyways every time that happens is that often enough it's against someone who is equally as noobish as you are. That counter in the video you found, that's what happens when you hug people who are trying to situp sweep you.
    Seriously, your advice was terrible.
    Noted, Now shutting the **** up.

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your description made me think you were on the other side of the equation. Now that I know we're talking about possible a hip-bump counter... The initial reaction: hug and base/sprawl isn't terrible. But it's something I do momentarily when I think a lot of my opponent's offense. Done wrong, you gonna lose yo' shoulder. Done boring, you gonna lay on somebody while body clenching them. You could also be one of those guys that locks his hands under the small of someone's back and grinds their weight into a guy. That's annoying, and not a technical way to do a whole lot.

You're tripoding on someone in guard, then trying non-technical "something" to escape.

Now, accepting any internet advice should rightly annoy your coach but next time this happens, negate the hip bump attempt, flatten the guy back on the floor, then return to a locked and upright position. Basically: save yourself, return to decent sitting posture and base, and try a real guard break.

Then, if you want to get really advanced? Don't wait until the guy tries to sweep you. Posture and break guard.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^thats what my post wouldve looked like if i was as good at typing explanations.FTR I didnt say anything about how i guard break and pass, just that i will pass after i defend the sweep. Thanks for clarifying my post.

Posted On:
    6/10/2011 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^thats what my post wouldve looked like if i was as good at typing explanations.FTR I didnt say anything about how i guard break and pass, just that i will pass after i defend the sweep. Thanks for clarifying my post.
    I didn't clarify ****. You wrote your essay in crayon, so I wrote my own.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast