Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a BJJ novice myself, I don't ask anyone that's not at least a high blue "what did I do wrong there?" While anyone senior to me might be able to tell me why I got swept, or why this one thing isnt' working, the higher belts have a deeper understanding, and an ability to break down just what you are doing and WHY it won't work. No one on the internet, not a black belt, not anybody I've ever met in any martial art, can sufficiently discuss intracacies of techniques (and failures thereof) without seeing it. And, we, as white belts, simply do not have the ability to accurately and precisely enough describe what we're doing and what is being done TO US to get a useful and actionable answer. I have friends who are high white through brown belts. They all tell me the same thing. I don't know enough yet to even knw the right questions. Mat time. Basics. Mat time. Basics.
    I'd give the same advice in any of the martial arts I've trained in my life, but it seems to be most applicable to BJJ.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:16am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    I'm still at a loss about the attitude that I shouldn't be asking questions here. The advanced grappling section is for blue belts and up. So it seems natural that this would be the place for white belts to ask questions.
    In addition to what JNP stated, you can get some terrible advice from forums along with the good. Until you know enough to filter the morons out, stick to in-person training.

Plus, having a solid fundamental base will help you progress much faster in the long run.

Example incoming in 3, 2, 1...
    Last edited by tao.jonez; 6/08/2011 9:30am at .
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:18am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I do (and Im a beginnner as well) is when my opponent sits up I pummel under his arms and gable grip (S grip if hes much bigger than me), lift my butt off the mat and drive him forward back towards the mat, and then ill usually stand up and start trying to pass. but that being said if youre putting a lot of pressure on his hip or stomach with your hand he probably wont be able to sit up in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:29am

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously. No one wants to see the blind lead the blind. If you're a "beginnner" as well, that immediately makes you unqualified to talk about technique.

I'm a blue with 4 years of rolling and competition experience, and I don't give out grappling advice because there are people here who are actually qualified to do it.

Shut up and train.

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:46am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the advice the OP needs is found in this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91604

(STFU and train).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 12:59am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just want to remind you something, to prevent future similar questions.

Good thing about jiu jitsu is that it is "alive", yes?

Which means you will roll around and your partner will resist to you, and will try to stop you from doing your technique.

So keep in mind that there are not really %100 moves in JJ and you may need to learn how to switch between techniques as the time passes by.

Next time when you have a question like "I do the X pass correctly but it just doesn't work because he does this!" the answer well may be like "Well, it is because he is blocking your X move like he should and opening the way for Y pass which you should do next"

Other than that, STFU and Train

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 1:07am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    /Hugs necro

Nicely said man, especially the "there's no 100% moves in JJ" part :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 4:47pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    Glad everyone decided to stop by to point and laugh. I've only been training for about a month. Our school just competed in the SFV Machado invitational. Of the 8 guys that went, 4 came back with gold, one with silver. It's definitely a real BJJ school, lol. I think I didn't explain very well what I was doing. Part of it that I left out is that I'm also stacking the guy on his neck. Anyways I'm not going to get butthurt over the comments. This isn't a pass that I was taught, it's more something I hacked together from watching MMA. I'm happy to ditch it and use something better, but so far, every time I try and use a pass that I see online, I'm unable to make it work. I think my main difficulty is either I'm not able to get the guy to open his guard, or I don't have the experience, sensitivity or whatever to notice when he does. I think so far I've only been taught one or two passes in class, and I forgot them. I tend to go to the mixed class instead of the white belt class, because I figured I'd learn quicker that way, but maybe I am missing out on learning some fundamentals. If anyone does want to help and try and answer any of the questions that I posted, instead of just snickering, that's cool too.
    There are a variety of methods to pass a guard and some are complicated, other are not. Here's one that works at the highest level and breeds a very usefull skillset.

Don't force the pass. settle in or bait something and let him open up to attack. Inevitable you're going to get amrbarred/triangled ect. quite a bit but if you take the time to stop after each submission and review what you did wrong then try something different, then you will get very good at defending submissions from top position in guard. Also, this method will work from beginner to advanced becasue it doesn't rely on YOU breaking thier guard, it's a patience game and in order to attack you the opponent must open up and this will present your opportunity to work your timing, escapes, technique ect.

Personally, I like to bait the armbar or triangle with my back arm lightly hooked on thier thigh. as soon as they jump for a submission my hook goes straight arm and that leg get's pinned to the ground where I walk around or go for the double under and stack.

in MMA if all else fails, chainpunch your way out of his guard. It works great!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 4:55pm

Style: Getting less fat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    There are a variety of methods to pass a guard and some are complicated, other are not. Here's one that works at the highest level and breeds a very usefull skillset.

Don't force the pass. settle in or bait something and let him open up to attack. Inevitable you're going to get amrbarred/triangled ect. quite a bit but if you take the time to stop after each submission and review what you did wrong then try something different, then you will get very good at defending submissions from top position in guard. Also, this method will work from beginner to advanced becasue it doesn't rely on YOU breaking thier guard, it's a patience game and in order to attack you the opponent must open up and this will present your opportunity to work your timing, escapes, technique ect.

Personally, I like to bait the armbar or triangle with my back arm lightly hooked on thier thigh. as soon as they jump for a submission my hook goes straight arm and that leg get's pinned to the ground where I walk around or go for the double under and stack.

Shut the **** up

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post

Dude, STFU, you're giving terrible advise for someone with 1 month's experience.

OP, STFU and keep going to class. Ask those technical questions with your instructor or a blue belt or higher. They can actually SEE the mistakes you are doing and give you better advise then random people on the net.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast