Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 4:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on maintaining a solid base and control their hips. Again, ask your instructor about what you're doing wrong posture and base wise when you're in their guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 4:17pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer from most reasonable people on this forum will be 'ask your instructor'. If you're going to a legitimate school, you have a head instructor and a number of experienced students who can answer your questions, walk you through it, and give feedback as you progress.

Seeking input from a forum with one month of experience is not a good idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 4:24pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn you and your reasonableness, logic, & common sense! That stuff is for chumps. Come on internet, make me t3h de4dly haha. On a serious note, thanks for the feedback. Sorry if I came off like a dick.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 5:34pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, definitely go to the fundamentals class. Those are the basic building blocks of a game. I hate seeing people who are so excited quit bjj because they had some gimmicky successes and then their training partners improve and that gimmick fails consistently. So, enjoy the white belt class and I hope you stick with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 11:41pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bad thing about Youtube is that all new students want to learn all the flashy stuff before they have got down the basic techniques first. Everyone wants to learn everything fast and not take their time. I still practice my basic techniques on a regular basis. My goal is to master them.

As a white belt you are in what I call the parking lot stage...meaning when you first learn to drive your dad took you to an empty parking lot and you learned the basics of driving such as steering, applying the brakes and developing good driving habits. He did not say "Okay son lets hop on the freeway and learn how to drive".

Unfortunately some schools don't have a beginners class instead they throw everyone together and the new guy either hacks it out and gets through the confusion and stress of learning advanced techniques or quits.

In my academy all beginners have to go through a 3 month beginners class where they learn the basics and nothing more. Once I feel they have a understanding of what they are doing then they can participate with intermediate and advanced classes.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 12:32am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    Damn you and your reasonableness, logic, & common sense! That stuff is for chumps. Come on internet, make me t3h de4dly haha. On a serious note, thanks for the feedback. Sorry if I came off like a dick.
    Yes, you did come off as a dick. You've been training BJJ for a month. I've been training for over ten years and I'm still learning. I hope you're smart enough to understand what I'm saying to you.

We were all beginners once. I'm just glad I wasn't posting on the internet when I was a white belt. In conclusion, shut the **** up and train more. Failing that, ask purples and higher to help you out with your passing problems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still at a loss about the attitude that I shouldn't be asking questions here. The advanced grappling section is for blue belts and up. So it seems natural that this would be the place for white belts to ask questions. While I agree that the best people to ask are my instructors or higher belts in class, I have only so much time there, and it isn't fair of me to expect them to always want to take time to answer my questions. Conversely, this is a forum. I can post a question, and whoever feels like it can answer. I am not demanding anything from anybody, and this is about the most convenient way possible for someone who wants to answer, to do so. What am I missing here?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 1:55am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    I'm still at a loss about the attitude that I shouldn't be asking questions here.
    That's easy enough to answer. What would take an 30 minutes to an hour to explain over the internet can often be explained in 5-10 minutes in person. It's not a matter of your question being unimportant or invalid, it's merely the fact that any purple belt or higher can show you on the mat what it takes us much longer to explain. Once you have a few years underneath your belt, you'll be able to understand myriad details without explanation. This will make it much easier for you to understand someone's answer to your question without having to undergo a page's worth of explanatory details.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 2:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification. That makes alot of sense.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 8:30am

Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man its the one month experience part not the asking questions part. Most of the questions you can think of in the first month will seem utterly retarded by three months.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast