Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 2:58pm

Style: BJJ & MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ advice needed

So I've started to have some success in passing the guard by putting my butt up in the air, having my legs spread wide and being up on my toes, and having my head on the other guys head, hands on knees, and then trying to pin on of the legs and move toward side control. I noticed that when this doesn't work, so far the same thing keeps happening. My partner shifts to one side, grabs one of my legs, and then gets an effortless sweep. How do I prevent this type of sweep, and how should I continue to try and progress toward a pass afterwards? I keep being advised to posture up, but I am also an easy victim of the "sit up sweep". How should I counter this? I have a ridiculous, nearly comical level of leg strength, and am very tall. Aside from getting really good at the triangle, how are some other ways that I can structure my game around my specific physical advantages? Thanks!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL....the same way you got into it, drop your weight. IMO this is a terrible guard pass. Please don't let success breed bad habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was not originally a wall of text. I had like 4 paragraphs in original post. I'm not THAT much of a newb.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you in a real BJJ school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:18pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed. I'm surprised you aren't getting swept every time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad everyone decided to stop by to point and laugh. I've only been training for about a month. Our school just competed in the SFV Machado invitational. Of the 8 guys that went, 4 came back with gold, one with silver. It's definitely a real BJJ school, lol. I think I didn't explain very well what I was doing. Part of it that I left out is that I'm also stacking the guy on his neck. Anyways I'm not going to get butthurt over the comments. This isn't a pass that I was taught, it's more something I hacked together from watching MMA. I'm happy to ditch it and use something better, but so far, every time I try and use a pass that I see online, I'm unable to make it work. I think my main difficulty is either I'm not able to get the guy to open his guard, or I don't have the experience, sensitivity or whatever to notice when he does. I think so far I've only been taught one or two passes in class, and I forgot them. I tend to go to the mixed class instead of the white belt class, because I figured I'd learn quicker that way, but maybe I am missing out on learning some fundamentals. If anyone does want to help and try and answer any of the questions that I posted, instead of just snickering, that's cool too.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:35pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    Glad everyone decided to stop by to point and laugh. I've only been training for about a month. Our school just competed in the SFV Machado invitational. Of the 8 guys that went, 4 came back with gold, one with silver. It's definitely a real BJJ school, lol. I think I didn't explain very well what I was doing. Part of it that I left out is that I'm also stacking the guy on his neck. Anyways I'm not going to get butthurt over the comments. This isn't a pass that I was taught, it's more something I hacked together from watching MMA. I'm happy to ditch it and use something better, but so far, every time I try and use a pass that I see online, I'm unable to make it work. I think my main difficulty is either I'm not able to get the guy to open his guard, or I don't have the experience, sensitivity or whatever to notice when he does. I think so far I've only been taught one or two passes in class, and I forgot them. I tend to go to the mixed class instead of the white belt class, because I figured I'd learn quicker that way, but maybe I am missing out on learning some fundamentals. If anyone does want to help and try and answer any of the questions that I posted, instead of just snickering, that's cool too.
    1. Stop learning off the internet.
    2. Go to the white belt class.
    3. Stop learning from internet.
    4. Go to the white belt class.
    5. Go to the mix class.
    6. Train more.
    7. Stop learning off the internet.
    8. Profit.

Thier you go in that order.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by No.1_Son View Post
    First of all kid, I'm not laughing at you. I gave you some advice, abandon that guard pass. If you're going to be a dick about this then you can go **** yourself from now on.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to white belt class, ask for a guard pass from the instructor, drill it endlessly. What you're describing isn't a pass it's a beginner mistake and an abortion of a technique.

Watch some of Dan's vids for reference and ask your coach!

Last edited by DKJr; 6/07/2011 3:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I will abandon the crappy technique and take your advise. Moving on, how should one counter the "sit-up sweep" from the closed guard?
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast