Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

newbie wanting recommendations in UCSD

Hi Bullshido!

So I am new to martial arts, actually I've never touched the arts, but I've decided take up a martial arts class.

I have no prior experience, but I'm looking for something good for self-defense. I'm not really sure what I'd want to take, but I'm a bit interested in taking up jeet kune do.

The thing is, I'm only limited to taking the class at UCSD, and I don't know how good they would be. If anyone can help me in deciding or has good information about the classes here, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by chidoribaka; 5/01/2011 7:36pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeet Kune Do (Jun Fan) is a training method, not a specific style of martial art. This unique training method was designed and developed by Si Gung Bruce Lee and Sifu Dan Inosanto.
    Jeet Kune Do (Jun Fan) training at the Harris Academy is multi-faceted. Students will learn how to effectively box, kickbox, trap and use clinchwork. They will also learn takedowns, grappling, how to engage multiple assailants, as well as various training methods.
    Over time, students will develop highly personalized set of skills in each of the four empty hand ranges of combat.
    In addition to the Jun Fan / Jeet Kune Do training methods, students will also be introduced to vast array of Filipino Martial Arts training methods. These methods are collectively called, “The Inosanto Blend of Kali.” These additional training methods embellish the Jun Fan, empty hand, training methods.
    The goal of the Jeet Kune Do / Filipino Martial Arts training methods is to teach the student to adapt in combat, in the training hall and hopefully in life.
    Is this what you're asking about?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah I guess. tbh, I just googled 'top effective martial arts' and jeet kune do was one listed. I would like to learn muay thai the most, but they don't offer it at ucsd :\

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Choosing and Training a martial art

Hi!
    I'm a newbie that's going to start taking martial arts at my university without any prior experience at all in martial arts. I'm having trouble choosing between BJJ, wing chun, JKD, and boxing. Sadly they don't have muay,but they also have hapkido, kempo, and tang soo do karate.

Also I'm going to have about a month before I can start learning martial arts, but I wanted to make use of that month to get myself a little condition training prior to classes. Any suggestions in workout and stretching?

Thanks!
    Last edited by chidoribaka; 5/25/2011 1:33am at .

Style
    Boxing and No Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Request and go to a trial lesson at each school to get a good feel of what it is like learning there. Choose the one you prefer the most and which features alive/full contact sparring each sessions.

If you don't mind me asking, why can't you start learning now?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm taking the classes under my university, and the quarter is about to end so I have to wait until the next session opens up.

Alright, I'll take a look and talk to some of the teachers/students when the classes are over. Thanks for the advice!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

choosing shorinji kempo or wing chun

I'm choosing a MA class for the first time to start and go through with but I'm having trouble deciding between the two available ones. Shorinji Kempo and Wing Chun, both have good instructors but I cannot choose. Please help community of MAs. Thanks

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you want out of your training, why are you considering those 2, where do you live?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live at UCSD and I can only take UCSD classes. The other classes available are BJJ (which I'm not interested in grappling), Okinawan Karate, Hapkido, Wushu, Shaolin, and Jeet Kune Do.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you ask should I take an enema or inflame my hemorrhoids? How does a retard like you get into college? Oh wait, you're at UCSD.

Why don't you take crochet, it'd probably be more your speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last