Style
    Judo & Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro to Warchief

Hello All,

I've been lurking on Bullshido for sometime now and decided it was time to legitimize my existence on this site.

I've been studying Judo as a self defense art since I was a young pup back in 1966. I began studying Ju Jitsu in 1973 after I enlisted in the US Army. My emphasis was on practical and effective self defense application of Judo in my early years of study. In 1992, I joined Clarksville Judo, studying with Bill Ryan, while I was assigned to Ft Campbell, Ky where I and my family explored the sport aspect of Judo. I retired from Active Duty in 1999 after almost 26 years of active duty. I returned to Texas and settled in Wichita Falls. Since then I've been the founder and head coach of TEXOMA Judo & Ju Jitsu. Our Judo focus is very competition focused and the Ju Jitsu we teach is of a composite of traditional Japanese and BJJ. I believe function and effectiveness is more important than tradition or "looking pretty". I am registered as a Yodan in Judo & Ju Jitsu with the USJA and as a Godan in Judo with USA Judo. I am currently a member of the USJA BOD.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

More Judo peeps is always nice. Do you find being a member of two separate orgs worth the effort? Most old timers I know are loathe to even be a member of one, heh.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido! Always nice to have someone as experienced as you on board.

You should request a expert tag in this thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94707

Style
    Judo & Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

More Judo peeps is always nice. Do you find being a member of two separate orgs worth the effort? Most old timers I know are loathe to even be a member of one, heh.
    Thank you for the welcome. I started as a member of the USJA so that is where my primary allegiance will always reside. I joined USA Judo when several of my students began competing on the national level in order to be matside. Recently the JA & JF have increased their joint efforts / partnership to develop and grow grassroots level Judo. I'm more encouraged now than at any point in the past that the US Judo organizations are beginning to move in the right direction, together. Unfortunately, since I've been an instructor, I've been involved in cleaning up after some of the "old timers" who didn't require there students to join one of the national organizations. I've had a couple of people show up who claimed to be BB level players but had no verifiable documentation to back up there claim. I think this type of instructors is doing a disservice to their players and the US Judo community as a whole if they don't require membership in one of the 3 organizations. I prefer the JA but really it comes down to individual on which organization is right for the instructor and his club.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome! Where did you train BJJ at?

Also we've got a Texas throwdown in the works, we'd love to have another grappler come down.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...86#post2557786

Style
    Judo & Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido! Always nice to have someone as experienced as you on board.

You should request a expert tag in this thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94707
    Nefron, Thank you for the welcome and the info about how to request a tag. I think I'm going to skip this opportunity. I think it would be a little presumptuous of me to request an "expert" tag. There are far too many instructors who I sincerely and deeply respect, that I've had the opportunity to learn from, that are still practicing and teaching for me to reach for that mantle. Instructors such as Jim Bregman, Hayward Nishioka, Pat Burris, AnnMaria Demarrs, Rhonda Rousey, Ray Silverstrand, Terry Kelly, Jim Pedro Jr & Sr and Martin Bregman to name just a few of the people that I really respect that I fell I would be disrespecting. They deserve an "expert" tag much more than I ever will.

Style
    Judo & Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Welcome! Where did you train BJJ at?

Also we've got a Texas throwdown in the works, we'd love to have another grappler come down.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...86#post2557786
    David, I'm sorry if I gave you the misconception that I'm a BJJ practitioner. I'm a traditional Judo and Japanese Ju Jitsu guy. I should have written that I include and stress Kosen Judo in my program. We are unique, I think, in that we do a significant amount of ne waza training in comparision to the average traditional Japanese Ju Jitsu program. This is just my opinion, based on how successful my students are in applying ne waza in Judo shiai in this area.

I have a Brown Belt student who also studies with and has earned a Blue Belt in BJJ from Rafael Lovato, Jr in OKC. He recently opened a BJJ studio here in Wichita Falls. Several of my students cross train at his place to further enhance their ground game.

Please send the details of the throwdown and I will pass it along to them.