Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 12:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    From kesa gatame you trap the wrist with your top leg and stretch it out, putting pressure on the elbow with your bottom leg. I've seen a couple of judo guys do it, I learned it in BJJ but we don't use Kesa much, so we don't use it very often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 1:03am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it goes without saying that the more advanced you are in a martial art the less of douche you are when going to other schools, when I said blue belt is a big step I dont think I misspoke. It doesnt make you a master or a badass, but I do believe it shows a lot of dedication to stick with it that long without being promoted as fast as you would with other MA. Its the reason why I would say 50% of people at my gym quit before they make blue.When people at work ask me how long ive been training and what belt I am, and I say white they get an incongruous look on their faces. They think Im a slacker because they mostly know about TKD and krotty and figure if I have been training for over a year and Im still a white belt I either dont actually train or I really suck. In reality I train a few times a week and I only Kinda suck. So theyre only half right. Dojo etiquette is important but I think its more a symptom of society that its not an inherent trait nowadays than a reflection on BJJ blue belts as a whole. If you compare your average 24 year old Blue belt and compare him to any other 24 year old from the same area and its not likely youre going to see much of a difference in terms of etiquette.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 1:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, that's it. Around the 40 second mark, though the way I was taught you go ahead and hook the knee over the wrist to trap it instead of just squeezing down.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 5:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    From kesa gatame you trap the wrist with your top leg and stretch it out, putting pressure on the elbow with your bottom leg. I've seen a couple of judo guys do it, I learned it in BJJ but we don't use Kesa much, so we don't use it very often.
    Gotcha, I know what you mean. Its one of those submissions you tend to see more in Judo than BJJ.

I can't remember the name its either Hiza gatame or Ude gatame with the legs, something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 6:55am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any belt, any style, some guys are jerks. They can be clueless, harmless jerks that get threads made about them on the internet; or they can be dangerous, go-too-hard-to-showoff jerks who should be dealt with accordingly.

I salute those that put the latter in their place.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    ...Walks into the back and comes out wearing his blue gi, blue belt, and patches.

Hour and fifteen minutes later lays crushed beneath the weight of a middle-aged, out-of-shape seven time junior national Judo champion.
    I hope the Judoka was all "Aren't you a little old for that kids belt?" after he crushed him.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Does it? I'll take your word for it, must be outside of the 1st set and therefore unbeknownst to me.

That's a sensible drill though, because you do often get bucked off and rolled when trying to finish juji jime from on top. This just involved hugging and stupidity.
    Yes, really, I'm not making it up. It is actually useful information contained in the kata, believe it or not!

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yes, really, I'm not making it up. It is actually useful information contained in the kata, believe it or not!

Ben
    Yeh, absolutely. I just think there are better vehicles for teaching the same information/ concepts in a more concise and clearer manner in ways people can more readily relate to randori/ shiai.

I guess my feelings towards kata are similar to your feelings towards static uchikomi.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Not sufficiently mined indeed.

I still don't have a single response to my last post, and considering what I posted, quite frankly I'm stunned that there hasn't been any comment ^_^.

With regard to the high concentration of douchebaggery in BJJ blues, the BJJ blue belts that I know personally are free of douchebaggery, and faggotry in general. None of them would ever wear their BJJ belt to Judo. They all wear their Judo Belts at Judo...
    The one BJJ school I went to, the blue belts all had good attitudes towards me and each other. No douchebaggery, good times.

Some of the guys went harder at me than others, but nothing with bad intent. I really liked that I could take my time in ne waza, which is how I originally learned ne waza.

My best/worst comment was when a blue belt wanted to go 50% and I said OK, then he made some sort of comment about how could that be 50%, and I, in smartass mode, said that was maybe 25% for me.

Ben

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Gotcha, I know what you mean. Its one of those submissions you tend to see more in Judo than BJJ.

I can't remember the name its either Hiza gatame or Ude gatame with the legs, something like that.
    Hiza Gatame, I believe. I first learned it as Ude Gatame with the legs, though.

Ben
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast