Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tapped and been tapped by BJJ blue belts on the ground. I got my Judo dan grade in under two years, which is apparently the standard for getting your blue belt - see above.

Never been thrown by a BJJ blue belt, or purple and have not had higher than that come to Judo and not done stand up sparring at a BJJ club.

Chucking BJJ blue and purple belts is pretty easy.

As for your training background when I've gone to BJJ or MMA my standard line when asked what I've done is 'I've done a bit of Judo', then its up to them if they want to push further for a rank/ years of experience.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Chucking BJJ blue and purple belts is pretty easy.
    Really, because I'd think it's pretty difficult to throw someone sitting on their butt.

Ooooo! <rimshot>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:29pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Edit: By the way, I believe the technical term for the type of individual you're describing is "Blue belt douchebag".
    Douchebelt?

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tapped and been tapped by BJJ blue belts on the ground.
    BTW this doesn't mean I think I'm BJJ blue belt level in groundwork I probably don't fight off my back well enough to get a BJJ blue belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:38pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Side note: I was recently told by a blue belt that a blue in BJJ is equivalent to a black belt in judo.
    I cried a bit, and sort of vomited in my mouth at the same when I read that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 5:12pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post

Seen it a thousand times. Can pick the guy out in a crowd even if he isn't wearing his shirt that says "Knee bar" on it.
    Analogy fail.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I've heard this as well, but when I heard it it was from someone who has studied both Judo and BJJ and he said, "A BJJ blue belt is about equivalent to a Judo black belt on the ground."

I think that's a very important distinction.
    I've heard these words bandied around before too, and while it might even be true in some cases, I tend to think that it's generally an inaccurate claim.

Afterthought: Perhaps the Judo club I was at did more Newaza than other Judo clubs? we were about 50/50 standing and ground.

For what it's worth, in regard to the OP: Wearing anything other than a white belt when you are ungraded in the class you are attending is disrespectful, arrogant, lazy, and discourteous. Dude deserved to be dumped on his head.

Fact is, he wanted everyone to know about his BJJ past. He invited the cruel submissions. Especially if he has ideas in his head about being equal to black belts in Judo..

He might have even gone there with the mission of subbing a black belt. Who knows? I'm glad he failed.
    Last edited by Colin; 6/04/2011 5:57pm at . Reason: added afterthought

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole blue belt bjj equals bb judo is ancient history in the bjj vs judo wars that have mostly fizzed out.

Unfortunately, some judo bb's would get owned by some BJJ blue belts on the ground. And vice versa.

Does not really matter, though.

I went to a bjj school, and had told the instructor my experience beforehand. I wore a white belt, gladly. Teaching Judo gets old, being a student again was great.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Afterthought: Perhaps the Judo club I was at did more Newaza than other Judo clubs? we were about 50/50 standing and ground.
    50/50 is normal. What's important is how good that 50% is. I've seen a lot of **** groundwork taught in small local clubs.

Stuff like teaching techniques from the guard with your legs like this:

The classic Gyaku/Nami juji jime (Cross choke) when you're in someone's guard. A.K.A the 'Oh thank you very much I'll be having your arm now' attack.

The worst, the absolute worst thing, I have ever seen is a drill where the top guy has mount and the person underneath has to stop the mounted player from rolling onto their back and the mounted player has to try and roll onto their back...

That's right when you're being mounted you're drilling stopping the other person giving up that position and when you have mount you are practicing giving up the mount to be underneath with someone in your guard.

I went up to the brown belt (no surprise there) instructor and asked him what on earth it was for. The answer 'control from all positions'. I just starred at him open mouthed and then walked off. Never went back there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    He might have even gone there with the mission of subbing a black belt. Who knows? I'm glad he failed.
    In my experience its uncommon for people who are genuinely good to go scalping, because they know they're good and don't need the ego boost of trying to claim a scalp. There are always exceptions though.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience its uncommon for people who are genuinely good to go scalping, because they know they're good and don't need the ego boost of trying to claim a scalp. There are always exceptions though.
    Right. I generally agree with this sentiment too.

Trivia: Back in 2000, I 'scalped' a TKD instructor as a young, ambitious, aggressive douchebag. (I was the douchebag).

His name is Steve Weston, and he is the Tasmanian Head of ITF Taekwondo. He's a 6th Dan now, he might have been 2nd Dan at the time:

http://www.tkdhosting.com/nationals/list.php

As you can see, he still has hair. More than me in fact, unless you count the power beard. Which raises the question, just how effective was my scalping?

For what it's worth, Steve Weston is actually a decent guy, he was just a crappy fighter.
    Last edited by Colin; 6/04/2011 6:31pm at . Reason: added instructor's name and pictures, in the hope that Steve finds this post.
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast