Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/there-...n-the-internet

Cool,I recommend you start you epic journey of ass kicking

Here

And here
    But she is in Washington (I assum, WA state).

So go here. I'm sure Bert or Ishtvan will accomodate you.

http://www.budokanjudoseattle.com/Ne...n/Welcome.html
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 3:52pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you're making a mountain out of mole hill. If the guy was cool, didn't try to pull guard on everyone and throw on an armbar to show how much awesomer his BJJ is than Judo, and was generally cool, who gives a ****? If someone had come on here from [insert traditional martial art name here] complaining about how some new guy came into their dojo disrespecting everyone by not bowing to the picture of the art's founder and the highest ranking person on the floor in the proper order, you think everyone would have jumped on board agreeing how disrespectful he was?

What's the worst that happens? Everyone tools him and he looks ridiculous for not wearing a white belt? Who cares? If a judo guy wanted to wear his belt into my BJJ school, it wouldn't bother me. I'd probably pester him to go over the finer details of the few basic throws people have shown me.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???!!!!

We actually had the opposite happen at my school. A guy (who became my good friend over time) with a Judo black belt and a Bayless Jiu Jitsu black belt comes into my BJJ school to roll and always wears a white belt. He's got a ton of competition experience and we refer to him as "the world's best white belt". He paired up with another guy that mentioned it was first time rolling at the school (his first day rolling anywhere). He then said "me too" since it was also his first day rolling at this specific school. After about 60 seconds of continuous tapping, his partner believed he was the slowest learner ever. Fortunately, he then explained that he had been training for 20 some odd years and that he meant he hadn't rolled at that specific school before.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

So go here. I'm sure Bert or Ishtvan will accomodate you.

http://www.budokanjudoseattle.com/Ne...n/Welcome.html

The only school I actually plan on purposely going to and making their instructor look dumb is a mcdojo 15 min from home. As for kicking judo butt, I will wait for them to walk in, and tell me i'm doing bjj wrong. No point trying to pull a gracie challenge.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 4:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    No point trying to pull a gracie challenge.
    I always wondered why the Gracies never bowled up at the OTC in Colorado.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    Then how bout when you come to my bjj school in your judo uniform and get offended when yhou're told to put on a white belt you don't raise a stink.

Funny story we had a lovely judo black belt male some into my school, and he proceeded to tell me how i was doing techniques wrong. Cute. We then actually sparred, and as i'm getting side control he tried to kimura me from the bottom, i finished him off with an armbar/ wrist lock combo. It was lovely. The best part was when he stormed out. Gotta love being beat by a girl!

So that being said crappler, practice what you preach. Show respect for my bjj school. And kiss my a$$ if you think every bjj person walks around like that. you are delusional

(my dad did judo for 15 years, i never did a martial art before bjj, guess what, he likes my bjj more than he liked judo)
    1. I would NEVER walk into someone else's dojo in anything but street clothes. So already practice what I preach. I took BJJ for a year. Loved it.

2. I said it was my pet peeve. I've explained in detail the whole situation, and what I get is a bunch of nut-riders crawling up my ass saying "just chill out man, because we are all so mellow we don't care about that stuff". Did I say every BJJ'er walks around like that? Yet you got your panties in a bunch anyway, going off half-cocked.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 4:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    2. I said it was my pet peeve.
    I like how everyone new to the thread is reading your OP and flipping out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    1. I would NEVER walk into someone else's dojo in anything but street clothes. So already practice what I preach. I took BJJ for a year. Loved it.
    Isn't this a little impractical for any martial art where the Gi is a practical piece of equipment? If you show up at a Judo Dojo without a Gi then you're inconveniencing the instructor by making him either search for a Gi or limit the moves that can be performed on you. I mean, you're showing up to a Gi class dressed for No Gi.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. Every "free" trial or free class I took, as a visitor, involved "street clothes" better known as something comfortable. Now, as a student, after a certain point it would be impractical.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most Judo clubs have at least 1 or 2 spare gi and belts hanging around for just such an eventuality.

Although having run a uni club we've had complete muppets turn up in their normal wear clothes - jeans and t-shirt, with nothing else not even tracksuit bottoms or shorts and a spare t and expected to be allowed to join in.

We have to turn them away, but because they are such fucktards as to not even bring basic sport kit to a sport session, they usually aren't a loss when they don't come back.