Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 1617181925 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo guys are tough SOB's- And I've never done Judo. As far as the belt goes the instructor should know ahead of time if you had training and then it's the schools policy of the belt used. But even if the guy doesn't say anything - less than a minute of seeing him roll will tell you if he has trained.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 12:01pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We recently had a BJJ brown belt start at my [edit: Judo] club. He was panam champ at a lower belt rank and is an instructor at his club. Only a few of our guys are competitive with him on the ground.

He wore a white belt until coach told him to wear his brown belt.

I also understand that Roger Gracie wore a white belt when he started Judo.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 6/06/2011 12:42pm at .

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 1:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I think the problem is Crappler wanted to get his badass Judo stomping on BJJ story out and then everyone jumped all over it with various tribalisms and he was left trying to backfill all the stuff that was non-douche/ smoothed over in the telling of the tale of epic-ness. And thus got overwhelmed with everyone tilting at windmills.
    Full credit given here.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Yeah, that's the way I would EXPECT this situation to go down, but I was getting the impression from some folks like Crappler that the expectation was that when visiting a school you should show up in a white belt and keep your mouth shut about your previous experience so no one decides to curbstomp you for challenging them or whatever.
    I say unless they ask, you don't need to volunteer anything. I think a good school asks, and a good student tells. I see no reason to sandbag anyone but I also see no reason to inform people about things it is their responsibility to ask about. Douchy clubs say "we are so badass, we don't care what you did and wont' ask". Douchy visitors either walk in with their dicks out or tell nothing even when asked.
    Last edited by crappler; 6/06/2011 1:42pm at .
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 1:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Guy walks into a Judo dojo. Neck slightly bowed, face impassive, wearing a knit cap. Eyes serene. Calm, cool, collected and polite. His face and emeanor saying "I am confident. I can fight. I know BJJ".

Seen it a thousand times. Can pick the guy out in a crowd even if he isn't wearing his shirt that says "Knee bar" on it.

Walks into the back and comes out wearing his blue gi, blue belt, and patches.

Hour and fifteen minutes later lays crushed beneath the weight of a middle-aged, out-of-shape seven time junior national Judo champion.

Seriously. Fucking carry yourself like you have a life other than martial arts. Smile. Greet people warmly. Make jokes. Be humble. Don't be a douche. Even if you don't give a **** about anyone but yourself, why give away the fact that you have training?

And how about showing up and asking if they have a loaner gi and a white belt, dickwad?
    Then how bout when you come to my bjj school in your judo uniform and get offended when yhou're told to put on a white belt you don't raise a stink.

Funny story we had a lovely judo black belt male some into my school, and he proceeded to tell me how i was doing techniques wrong. Cute. We then actually sparred, and as i'm getting side control he tried to kimura me from the bottom, i finished him off with an armbar/ wrist lock combo. It was lovely. The best part was when he stormed out. Gotta love being beat by a girl!

So that being said crappler, practice what you preach. Show respect for my bjj school. And kiss my a$$ if you think every bjj person walks around like that. you are delusional

(my dad did judo for 15 years, i never did a martial art before bjj, guess what, he likes my bjj more than he liked judo)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:20pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    White/black or grey? WTF are you crowing about.

White belt is neutral in every legitimate martial art I have ever heard of.
    Aaron Fields, owner of Seattle Jujutsu and holder of multiple dans, trains/teaches in a gray belt and explained that it was intended specifically to mean nothing having to do with rank and was just there to keep his gi on. I don't know, however, if this is based on any sort of tradition or is just a habit of his own creation.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way to go Crappler, you've only gone and upset the only girl on the whole damn internet.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    Raar!
    Can anyone else hear a clack clack clacking sound?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Way to go Crappler, you've only gone and upset the only girl on the whole damn internet.
    i am sure i am not the only one on here. heck ive just recently started posting frequently.

but every time i beat up a jud person i will make sure to post it here :) it's always more entertaining when you get your butt handed to you by a girl :)

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 3:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am sure i am not the only one on here. heck ive just recently started posting frequently.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/there-...n-the-internet

but every time i beat up a jud person i will make sure to post it here :) it's always more entertaining when you get your butt handed to you by a girl :)
    Cool,I recommend you start you epic journey of ass kicking

Here

And here