Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 10:09am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist View Post
    Catholicism has been the most turbulent, and progressive of the established Christian sects in modern history. Acceptance of the theory of evolution, acceptance of the idea that non-believers can attain salvation, and support for the gays in their ministry (see what I did there?) has been groundbreaking.
    We Catholics got our asses handed to us via the Galileo affair. And in truth we had in coming for a long time.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 10:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one that thinks it would be a dick move for a BJJ purple belt to show up to a Judo class in a white belt and proceed to breakdance on the instructors face during Newaza practice?
    I would consider that equally as dickish as a Judo Black Belt showing up to the BJJ class with a whitebelt on and then throwing me through the planet during TD practice.

I wore my blue to train with the local Judo guys, along with my school Gi, I did offer to put on a white belt if they wanted me to, but I would never try to stealth it and just show up in a plain white gi and a white belt and look to WTFPWN people...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC HATE BALL View Post
    We Catholics got our asses handed to us via the Galileo affair. And in truth we had in coming for a long time.
    The Galileo thing gets misrepresented. The church was mostly cool with him, but he kept on writing stuff that called them idiots. The pope even asked him to write a book with arguments for and against heliocentrism, but Galileo took a number of the arguments the Pope was fond of and put them into the mouth of an idiot who kept on making mistakes. It was less a matter of persecution and more a matter of Galileo being really bad at politics.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    The Galileo thing gets misrepresented. The church was mostly cool with him, but he kept on writing stuff that called them idiots. The pope even asked him to write a book with arguments for and against heliocentrism, but Galileo took a number of the arguments the Pope was fond of and put them into the mouth of an idiot who kept on making mistakes. It was less a matter of persecution and more a matter of Galileo being really bad at politics.
    I'm sure Giordano Bruno would agree that the Catholic Church was healthily pluralist about these matters. If they hadn't burned him at the stake.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 10:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks it would be a dick move for a BJJ purple belt to show up to a Judo class in a white belt and proceed to breakdance on the instructors face during Newaza practice?
    I would consider that equally as dickish as a Judo Black Belt showing up to the BJJ class with a whitebelt on and then throwing me through the planet during TD practice.

I wore my blue to train with the local Judo guys, along with my school Gi, I did offer to put on a white belt if they wanted me to, but I would never try to stealth it and just show up in a plain white gi and a white belt and look to WTFPWN people...
    Having run a Judo club where we get beginners of all sorts from complete spaztard newbs who fall over their own feet to semi-pro Thai fighters and BJJ purples turn up.

This is how you greet a new guy with some martial arts kit with them/ anyone who turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Judo club owner: So you're new here?
    Randomer: Yes.
    JCO: You done any of this before?
    R: Yes I've done some BJJ
    JCO: Ok, cool. What belt are you in BJJ?
    R: Blue belt.
    JCO: Ok cool do you mind wearing a white belt for Judo, we have a few spare.
    R: Sure, of course not.
    JCO: Okay cool nice to have you aboard.

That's all that needs to happen. And then everybody has a good time.
    Not a dig at you Kint, but I laid that out on page 9. That really should have been the end of it.

-----------------------------

For anyone who's never run a MA club this is what you do:

Standard practice is to always ask anyone new who they are, if they have any MA experience and then if so how much and in what.

This is so that:
    1- You show an interest in them and are actually greeting them and having a pleasant convo.

2. You know what you're dealing with.

3. You can keep them and or yourself and your students safe.

4. You can appropriately integrate them into the class. I.e if its a session on attacking the turtle a BJJ purple can dive straight in and doesn't need nannying.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:11am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my judo club we have a regular stream of BJJs blues who come by. And it is rare that we get anyone who is a complete noob. The learn to stand up straight or quit.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's the way I would EXPECT this situation to go down, but I was getting the impression from some folks like Crappler that the expectation was that when visiting a school you should show up in a white belt and keep your mouth shut about your previous experience so no one decides to curbstomp you for challenging them or whatever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:16am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would sig this... If I could sig this

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's the way I would EXPECT this situation to go down, but I was getting the impression from some folks like Crappler that the expectation was that when visiting a school you should show up in a white belt and keep your mouth shut about your previous experience so no one decides to curbstomp you for challenging them or whatever.
    I think the problem is Crappler wanted to get his badass Judo stomping on BJJ story out and then everyone jumped all over it with various tribalisms and he was left trying to backfill all the stuff that was non-douche/ smoothed over in the telling of the tale of epic-ness. And thus got overwhelmed with everyone tilting at windmills.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 11:20am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    I keep on repeating myself because I've yet to get a non evasive answer. The closest I've gotten is Crappler saying that the guy was at least disrespectful, which isn't true at all if the guy contacted the instructor.
    No crappler said it was his own pet peeve/bias and that everything could have been cool between the guy and the instructor. That's why I asked. No more no less.

If I can get a straight answer on whether there was anything that really suggested the man hadn't confirmed what he was going to wear then I can agree that the guy was a bit of a dick. Otherwise it's best not to think in these terms because it could lead to you making the place hostile to outsiders, which can hurt the Instructor, his reputation and his wallet.
    You got a straight answer. This is why I asked if you read the thread.

The guy was generally polite and the instructor wasn't pissed off at the guy. That would be enough for me not to start up a thread about the guy being a douche.
    Yeah, that's you and has no bearing on the thread.