Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's disrespectful if he did it intentionally and without approval from the hosting instructor. It's kind of stupid if he just didn't think about it. It's understandable if he doesn't have his white belt anymore. It's 100% correct if he asked the instructor if he could wear his BJJ stuff and the instructor told him he could.

Do you have any evidence that it wasn't the final example?

EDIT: If I missed something and he obviously didn't clear this with the instructor then that's not cool. Anything that disrupts a group trying to practice something is bad.
    Last edited by November; 6/06/2011 12:24am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 12:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he come back to your gym again? Getting crushed by the instructor in randori mightn't have been the welcome he was expecting.

Also did people clear it up with him? I think it would have been a good idea to at least offer him a belt, from what you said he acted politely otherwise.

Or at least take him aside during class or after and just let him know that it wasn't the done thing to do.

All I have is my white belt so I'm okay wherever I go.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:24am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    Do you have any evidence that it was?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 3:31am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's disrespectful if he did it intentionally and without approval from the hosting instructor. It's kind of stupid if he just didn't think about it. It's understandable if he doesn't have his white belt anymore. It's 100% correct if he asked the instructor if he could wear his BJJ stuff and the instructor told him he could.

EDIT: If I missed something and he obviously didn't clear this with the instructor then that's not cool. Anything that disrupts a group trying to practice something is bad.
    Do you read before you post? I'm curious because, you've asked this question quite a few times and it has been answered twice. Also, are you being contrary on purpose? You keep disagreeing and then agreeing with his assertions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:39am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so I think weve established that the world is full of dicks, and some dicks train martial arts, and some dick martial artists go to other Dojos/Gyms and piss people off. The moral of the story is dont be 'that guy,' and ask for a loaner gi and or belt when training at a new place so as not to allow people to make the assumation that you did it intentionally to be disrespectful. All in agreement say aye and lets go to a new thread where we dont rehash the Judo vs BJJ sibling rivalry and we can all go back to being friends and wrestling each other while wearing pajamas.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 8:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Do you read before you post? I'm curious because, you've asked this question quite a few times and it has been answered twice. Also, are you being contrary on purpose? You keep disagreeing and then agreeing with his assertions.
    I keep on repeating myself because I've yet to get a non evasive answer. The closest I've gotten is Crappler saying that the guy was at least disrespectful, which isn't true at all if the guy contacted the instructor. If I can get a straight answer on whether there was anything that really suggested the man hadn't confirmed what he was going to wear then I can agree that the guy was a bit of a dick. Otherwise it's best not to think in these terms because it could lead to you making the place hostile to outsiders, which can hurt the Instructor, his reputation and his wallet.

Do you have any evidence that it was
    The guy was generally polite and the instructor wasn't pissed off at the guy. That would be enough for me not to start up a thread about the guy being a douche.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 8:48am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I prefer to launch the sub from scarf hold, also known as kuzure kesa gatame. I place my knee under their near side shoulder and pull upward with both grips. Nearside arm gripped as close as possible to armpit, far side shoulder scooped from underneath and lifted off the mat. Counter all this pulling pressure by pushing your ribs into their diaphragm for maximum discomfort. If done properly, he won't be able to bridge because both shoulders are off the mat.
    Interesting. I'll have to try it from Kuzure Kesa Gatame. I only ever do it from Kesa Gatame which is why I'm leery of it in No-Gi.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 8:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crappler is just insecure because he doesn't know BJJ.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep on repeating myself because I've yet to get a non evasive answer. The closest I've gotten is Crappler saying that the guy was at least disrespectful, which isn't true at all if the guy contacted the instructor. If I can get a straight answer on whether there was anything that really suggested the man hadn't confirmed what he was going to wear then I can agree that the guy was a bit of a dick. Otherwise it's best not to think in these terms because it could lead to you making the place hostile to outsiders, which can hurt the Instructor, his reputation and his wallet.

The guy was generally polite and the instructor wasn't pissed off at the guy. That would be enough for me not to start up a thread about the guy being a douche.
    I am not being evasive dickwad. I've been actually completely straightforward and explained the position and what I know and don't know. I don't need you to agree he was being a dick. I've been to dozens of dojos and trained at as many. I know the etiquette. You apparently don't.

It is not a secret that dojos that follow Japanese tradition at consider respect to extremely important. It is also not a secret that when you are disrespectful toward people who practice fighting, it can be considered a challenge that has consequences that are completely foreseeable.

You seriously thinking showing up in a uniform showing your rank in another art is the same as showing up in boxing gloves?

It sounds to me like you have done this before and are trying to make excuses. Am I wrong?
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Crappler is just insecure because he doesn't know BJJ."

You hurt my feelings.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast