Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do it from Kesa Gatame. I pinch the head toward the shoulder concentrating on shoulder control and elbow before release for the submission.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    I was green when I stopped a couple years ago, but the instructor refused to promote without going to tournaments and everything local conflicted with wrestling so I was a bit behind my skill level. That said I haven't done either wrestling or Judo in three years so when I go back I'm going to just go as a white belt if I can.

EDIT: I'm not really sure what rank has to do with an etiquette thing like this, though.
    The color of the belt designates skill level. There is no comparison between walking in with boxing gloves to a boxing gym. There is something very simple going on here. People who rock up with their cock up want to show off. It is a fucking douche move.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:18pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see guys all the time who come to MT in sprawl shorts. Amidoinitrite?

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you wear seems very insignificant compared to your attitude or the way you carry yourself. I have been in all different types of fight gyms and seen people walk in wearing all sorts different outfits. The people who were open, relaxed and friendly were always warmly received. People who looked like they had a chip on their shoulder didn't get on as well, at least not initially. Some people just look like they have a case of the ass no matter what they do, some are even completely unaware that they come across challenging or cocky. Ultimately it's what you do in the long term that matters. I always assume that the person that comes in one day won't be there in two weeks so I don't worry about it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't buy the whole "Once you're trained in martial arts your whole bearing changes" thing. I see tons of people out at the bar that don't train that carry themselves just like we're talking about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:26pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    What you wear seems very insignificant compared to your attitude or the way you carry yourself. I have been in all different types of fight gyms and seen people walk in wearing all sorts different outfits. The people who were open, relaxed and friendly were always warmly received. People who looked like they had a chip on their shoulder didn't get on as well, at least not initially. Some people just look like they have a case of the ass no matter what they do, some are even completely unaware that they come across challenging or cocky. Ultimately it's what you do in the long term that matters. I always assume that the person that comes in one day won't be there in two weeks so I don't worry about it.
    So true, a true martial artist can make people taste his awesome in any outfit. You go girl.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    The color of the belt designates skill level. There is no comparison between walking in with boxing gloves to a boxing gym. There is something very simple going on here. People who rock up with their cock up want to show off. It is a fucking douche move.
    Wearing a Gi and Belt is just like wearing boxing gloves to a boxing gym, they're both functional pieces of equipment. Unless you can show a common belief in Judo and BJJ that wearing a non-white belt to another Dojo's practice is a challenge, then I don't see anything wrong with what he did at all. I don't know if this is a karate thing, but it doesn't sound like anything I've heard of with judo.

Hell, for all you know the reason the guy kept his head down and didn't talk was because he was embarrassed that he forgot his white belt.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    I don't buy the whole "Once you're trained in martial arts your whole bearing changes" thing. I see tons of people out at the bar that don't train that carry themselves just like we're talking about.
    I know what you are saying. It's seems weird, but it is more than the cockiness. It's actually the physical movement as well combined with the bearing. The other day this guy was fixing our faucet and I had this odd feeling. Turns out he trained for seventeen years where I now train and, get this, his brother won the US open last year, I believe.

If you have ever read the book "blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, it's the same concept. I know it sounds ridiculous.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy could also be a bit aspy.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    Wearing a Gi and Belt is just like wearing boxing gloves to a boxing gym, they're both functional pieces of equipment. Unless you can show a common belief in Judo and BJJ that wearing a non-white belt to another Dojo's practice is a challenge, then I don't see anything wrong with what he did at all. I don't know if this is a karate thing, but it doesn't sound like anything I've heard of with judo.

Hell, for all you know the reason the guy kept his head down and didn't talk was because he was embarrassed that he forgot his white belt.
    People may not agree that it is a challenge, but I believe that most here agree that it is disrespectful. Everyone correct me if I am wrong.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast