LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    ...If I were to go to a BJJ dojo as a visitor I'd want people to know that I'm not a black belt but that I'm also not a beginner.
    Whether or not you are a beginner will be obvious to anybody you train with in a matter of under 30 seconds. What does wearing a belt indicate to anyone? Diddly squat. Your actions speak louder than your belt does.

I'd far prefer to be accused of sandbagging than misrepresentation.

In fact, I'll never grade to blue in BJJ, now you've said that. I'll just become a 15 stripe white belt over the next few years instead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:17pm

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    It seems common sense that when you walk into a place that teaches fighting and you wear gear indicating you already know how to fight, it's a challenge of SOME kind.
    No..? Walking into a boxing club with gloves and wraps isn't a challenge, walking into a muay thai class with shin pads isn't a challenge, pretty sure having a cup isn't a challenge.

Belted arts might be a little different but to me this like walking into gym 'X' with gyms 'Y's T-shirt on, it doesn't mean ****.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by All Dice View Post
    No..? Walking into a boxing club with gloves and wraps isn't a challenge, walking into a muay thai class with shin pads isn't a challenge, pretty sure having a cup isn't a challenge.

Belted arts might be a little different but to me this like walking into gym 'X' with gyms 'Y's T-shirt on, it doesn't mean ****.
    Nobody is taking him to task on his Gi. Blue gi is no problem in Judo. Wearing a blue belt, though, when he clearly owned a white belt (he had to own a white belt in BJJ before he owned a blue one) was a statement about the way this guy wanted people to perceive him. He knew he was going to stuck at the tachi waza against the experienced guys, but he wanted to gain a sense of respect from the beginners who didn't know him (speculation).

My guess is that he honestly and ignorantly felt that his BJJ blue belt was somehow worth something in a Judo club.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know whether they talked about it or not. Coach did not give a ****. He wanted a new student. They were both exceedingly cool to each other. I am making assumptions, but I'm generally spot on about this kind of stuff. It what makes me dangerous as a lawyer. I might not know the law, or the facts, but I know people. But who knows? You raise a valid point.

As far as your "way to let people know" does that serve your ego? I'm not trying to be dick. Seriously. I am about avoiding injury. So if I come as a beginner, get treated like beginner, then I'm safer. I don't know how good you are, but I wouldn't go anywhere and let people know they "don't have to hold back".
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    As far as your "way to let people know" does that serve your ego? I'm not trying to be dick. Seriously. I am about avoiding injury. So if I come as a beginner, get treated like beginner, then I'm safer. I don't know how good you are, but I wouldn't go anywhere and let people know they "don't have to hold back".
    The way I was taught, if you're below a Judo brown belt and you're visiting then we don't use any throws the visitor doesn't know against them until they've practiced it. The assumption is that anybody above brown belt should be able to safely land after being surprised by a throw. The important thing is that you hold back a bit against visitors that aren't full practitioners.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey November, what grade are you in Judo?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was green when I stopped a couple years ago, but the instructor refused to promote without going to tournaments and everything local conflicted with wrestling so I was a bit behind my skill level. That said I haven't done either wrestling or Judo in three years so when I go back I'm going to just go as a white belt if I can.

EDIT: I'm not really sure what rank has to do with an etiquette thing like this, though.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    EDIT: I'm not really sure what rank has to do with an etiquette thing like this, though.
    It has to do with the fact that you seem to think that different rank requires different etiquette.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:44pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Are you guys talking about this Kesa garami version?

Yes, this one, but with a figure four leg grip instead. Also I prefer kuzure kesa gatame.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Gene Lebell is my God. Gene Lebell called it a key lock (with legs). Omega will call it a key lock(with legs). Gene has spoken.
    And so shall it be.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    JnP how do you get it in No-Gi? I feel like regular Kesa is too risky in No-Gi. In No-Gi I feel like I don't have enough friction to keep my back from getting taken.
    I prefer to launch the sub from scarf hold, also known as kuzure kesa gatame. I place my knee under their near side shoulder and pull upward with both grips. Nearside arm gripped as close as possible to armpit, far side shoulder scooped from underneath and lifted off the mat. Counter all this pulling pressure by pushing your ribs into their diaphragm for maximum discomfort. If done properly, he won't be able to bridge because both shoulders are off the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Shoulder and elbow control.
    Are you saying the same thing as me, or do you do this from kesa gatame?

If you're visiting another dojo/dojang/kwoon/gym, it is good manners to wear a plain gi with no patches in my opinion. If you're somewhere that teaches the same art you practice, you ask the instructor beforehand about what belt to wear to class. Typically it's the same belt you wear everyday.

If your visiting a place that teaches a different art than the one in which you normally train, you had damn well make sure you have a white belt in your bag. If they want you to wear a different color belt, they'll let you know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    It has to do with the fact that you seem to think that different rank requires different etiquette.
    Where am I saying that? I'm saying that you assume a higher ranking practitioner can safely land unexpected moves while you assume that less for people of lower ranks. Etiquette doesn't come into it. The proper etiquette for visiting is to talk to the instructor before hand and ask him when to come, what to wear, whether you need a pass to get into the building, where you can park and anything else that's going to come up, just so you don't make things hard on him. This is whatever rank you are, from a white belt to a heavyweight boxing champion.
Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast