Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:15pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was talking to Omega about this, and I agree, Etiquette is key here. I honestly get that. Maybe what I'm trying to get at is that YOU may think its a challenge, but this guy may have had ZERO knowledge of such things.

It's been bred into me, 5 years of TKD and 4.5 years of Kyokushin, I get and understand the ins and outs. And I wouldn't wear my Gi or my belt to another club, UNLESS the owner / instructor said "yeah just wear <said uniform> that's fine man, see you there".

And he got owned, like most people do on their first lesson, I'm sure it'll happen to me when I get some time to cross train in some Judo with a club here in my City.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It represents a challenge? That's one I've never heard. I've heard that you don't put on a white belt at a new place unless you're committing to train under that style, that you wear a neutral belt (either a white belt with a black horizontal line or a grey belt) that denotes that you aren't completely new or any number of other things (including just wearing a white belt), but I've never heard the challenge bit. The whole colored belts denoting rank is a modern thing anyway so I didn't know that there was any challenge etiquette with it. Is this a recognized bit of etiquette where you train?

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming you confirmed that the instructor didn't ask him to wear his BJJ uniform? If they were working privately together I'd assume that he called before hand and worked everything out.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    White/black or grey? WTF are you crowing about.

White belt is neutral in every legitimate martial art I have ever heard of.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by November View Post
    It represents a challenge? That's one I've never heard. I've heard that you don't put on a white belt at a new place unless you're committing to train under that style, that you wear a neutral belt (either a white belt with a black horizontal line or a grey belt) that denotes that you aren't completely new or any number of other things (including just wearing a white belt), but I've never heard the challenge bit. The whole colored belts denoting rank is a modern thing anyway so I didn't know that there was any challenge etiquette with it. Is this a recognized bit of etiquette where you train?

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming you confirmed that the instructor didn't ask him to wear his BJJ uniform? If they were working privately together I'd assume that he called before hand and worked everything out.
    You've been reading wikipedia again haven't you?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's mostly just bullshit etiquette for visitors from TKD and other bullshit martial arts. Every judo dojo I've been a part of has basically said that visitors should ask first but they'll generally be asked to wear whatever they have that's close to Judo stuff until they actually join, at which point they'll wear Judo stuff. I've never heard of this stuff described as challenge etiquette.

You've been reading wikipedia again haven't you?
    The black stripe down the center is something I saw a Judo black belt had and he said it was for a TKD place he was learning from that did it to "respect his knowledge" or something and the grey belt thing is just something I've heard.
    Last edited by November; 6/05/2011 8:42pm at .

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trivia: The white belt I wear in BJJ today is the same white belt that I wore in Judo and Aikido all those years ago, too. Why not use the new white belts that come with any new gis I buy? Because I like the feel of an old belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:49pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Trivia: The white belt I wear in BJJ today is the same white belt that I wore in Judo and Aikido, too. Why not use the new white belts that come with any new gis I buy? Because I like the feel of an old belt.
    This. I have the same white belt every time i start somewhere new. I like how it sits.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My background is not in Judo. My background is krotty. 12 years ago when the Zen Budokai dudes came down from Sacramento, I wanted to train with them. I asked the boss. He said "bring a bottle of wine, a white belt, and a black belt, and ask them which one to wear."

It seems common sense that when you walk into a place that teaches fighting and you wear gear indicating you already know how to fight, it's a challenge of SOME kind. You are painting a target on yourself and letting them know you have training.

Maybe it's my insecurity, but when people come in like that, it sets me on edge.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 8:59pm

Style: Work got in the way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two black belt judoka were (cross)training at my dojo for a couple of months. They wore their (judo)black belts.
    Our instructor introduced them to the rest of us, the judoka were polite, and none had a problem with them or caused any problem to them(they were there to train bjj after all, and not to make it a contest/challenge).
    I didn't new who they were(except their first names), but I had a sense our instructor was a bit proud they came to our dojo to train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    My background is not in Judo. My background is krotty. 12 years ago when the Zen Budokai dudes came down from Sacramento, I wanted to train with them. I asked the boss. He said "bring a bottle of wine, a white belt, and a black belt, and ask them which one to wear."
    Do you have any evidence that the BJJ guy didn't do this? Did the instructor seem surprised or pissed off? The main thing about visiting another dojo is that you need to accommodate the instructor, not the students. I may have misread and the instructor was bitching to the class afterward.

It seems common sense that when you walk into a place that teaches fighting and you wear gear indicating you already know how to fight, it's a challenge of SOME kind. You are painting a target on yourself and letting them know you have training.
    It seems to me like it's a way to let people know they don't have to hold back. If I were to go to a BJJ dojo as a visitor I'd want people to know that I'm not a black belt but that I'm also not a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Trivia: The white belt I wear in BJJ today is the same white belt that I wore in Judo and Aikido all those years ago, too. Why not use the new white belts that come with any new gis I buy? Because I like the feel of an old belt.
    Sure, but maybe he gave it to a friend who needed one or meant to put it in his bag and forgot, or he ritualistically incinerates all of his old belts.
    Last edited by November; 6/05/2011 9:18pm at .
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast