Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... Last
  1. #1
    crappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    carry yourself like you don't do BJJ

    Guy walks into a Judo dojo. Neck slightly bowed, face impassive, wearing a knit cap. Eyes serene. Calm, cool, collected and polite. His face and emeanor saying "I am confident. I can fight. I know BJJ".

    Seen it a thousand times. Can pick the guy out in a crowd even if he isn't wearing his shirt that says "Knee bar" on it.

    Walks into the back and comes out wearing his blue gi, blue belt, and patches.

    Hour and fifteen minutes later lays crushed beneath the weight of a middle-aged, out-of-shape seven time junior national Judo champion.

    Seriously. Fucking carry yourself like you have a life other than martial arts. Smile. Greet people warmly. Make jokes. Be humble. Don't be a douche. Even if you don't give a **** about anyone but yourself, why give away the fact that you have training?

    And how about showing up and asking if they have a loaner gi and a white belt, dickwad?
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

  2. #2
    crappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****. Wrong thread. Ban imminent. I am a dumbass.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

  3. #3
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must "do" BJJ.

    Thread moved.

  4. #4
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy wore his blue belt and didn't even try to ask for a white one?

    Probably deserved a reality check.

    I do hope someone chucked him and then tapped him on the deck, just for lulz.

  5. #5
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Guy walks into a Judo dojo. Neck slightly bowed, face impassive, wearing a knit cap. Eyes serene. Calm, cool, collected and polite. His face and emeanor saying "I am confident. I can fight. I know BJJ".

    Seen it a thousand times. Can pick the guy out in a crowd even if he isn't wearing his shirt that says "Knee bar" on it.

    Walks into the back and comes out wearing his blue gi, blue belt, and patches.

    Hour and fifteen minutes later lays crushed beneath the weight of a middle-aged, out-of-shape seven time junior national Judo champion.

    Seriously. Fucking carry yourself like you have a life other than martial arts. Smile. Greet people warmly. Make jokes. Be humble. Don't be a douche. Even if you don't give a **** about anyone but yourself, why give away the fact that you have training?

    And how about showing up and asking if they have a loaner gi and a white belt, dickwad?
    Alternatively, when people ask what martial art I do, I tell them I hug men in pajamas.

    I already have my white belt in my bag for whenever I get the chance to make Judo class. I am seriously looking forward to wearing it.

    Edit: By the way, I believe the technical term for the type of individual you're describing is "Blue belt douchebag".

  6. #6
    Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Ke?poFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,919
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why I have a white belt in the trunk of my car at all times. Hey ya never know :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee


  7. #7
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,631
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're anyway past the beginner stage of proper martial arts you carry yourself differently it's just how it is, you've taken a few hidings and you're fairly certain you can give one back now. Frankly I think closing ranks and giving a newcomer a hard time isn't very welcoming and presents the club poorly.

  8. #8
    Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Ke?poFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,919
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    If you're anyway past the beginner stage of proper martial arts you carry yourself differently it's just how it is, you've taken a few hidings and you're fairly certain you can give one back now. Frankly I think closing ranks and giving a newcomer a hard time isn't very welcoming and presents the club poorly.
    This topic is all very much reliant on the details of the situation and how everyone behaves accordingly to those details.

    In my opinion, someone who has prior experience should disclose that before stepping on the mat at a new gym, to avoid sandbagging. But how you go about that can make the difference between coming across honest, or coming across arrogant in a "I am awesome, I've done X Y and Z, you should all respect me" kind of way.

    I personally only in making passing mention of having experience in martial arts, and if its a grappling club I'll mention I have a blue belt under Matt Serra, and leave it at that. I'm here to learn what they have to teach, not try to jump the gun and let them feel I am bored with their instruction and want something more "advanced" for someone fantastically talented like myself. If gi is required I will always request a white belt out of respect, and assume that to be the rule rather than the exception.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee


  9. #9
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    If you're anyway past the beginner stage of proper martial arts you carry yourself differently it's just how it is, you've taken a few hidings and you're fairly certain you can give one back now.
    Considering a blue belt is a whopping 2 years of training for a lot of people, I don't think it warrants a complete change of demeanor.

    Side note: I was recently told by a blue belt that a blue in BJJ is equivalent to a black belt in judo.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,138
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Side note: I was recently told by a blue belt that a blue in BJJ is equivalent to a black belt in judo.
    I've heard this as well, but when I heard it it was from someone who has studied both Judo and BJJ and he said, "A BJJ blue belt is about equivalent to a Judo black belt on the ground."

    I think that's a very important distinction.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO