Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 7:49pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Myself being from an MT background I'd be interested to read your perspective. My current coach uses a blend of TKD and boxing for his striking to pretty thoroughly dominate me.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 9:30pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I've got my own ideas about leg checks and kicks in MMA. I've been quite successful with my kicking approach everybody's so muay thai orientated that I can't get them to see other perspectives.
    Please speak more on this subject please.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 11:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rarely leg check. I've been traditionally trained in Muay Thai for three years including all the conditioning. I found more success not fighting the Muay Thai approach.

My approach is to get guys to check legs. This is when I start working angles. I employ more side kicks a' la San Shou. I kick supporting legs rather than check legs as I avoid. Because of my kicks I set up throws and punches off of them. So essentially I counter kicks and punch with kicks rather than check them. I break down the legs, kick the support legs and come off at weird angles. I have a few highlight videos where you can see me doing this. I don't care if guys catch my legs because they have to receive damage doing it and I rotate my body so my legs are hard to hold on to.

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification. Could you recommend a sidekick tutorial video? A lot of them seem put out by non contact TKD guys, which is something I'd rather avoid. I hate sidekick users, annoying and when one lands right.. painful.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 9:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could come up with one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 12:35pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rarely leg check. I've been traditionally trained in Muay Thai for three years including all the conditioning. I found more success not fighting the Muay Thai approach.

My approach is to get guys to check legs. This is when I start working angles. I employ more side kicks a' la San Shou. I kick supporting legs rather than check legs as I avoid. Because of my kicks I set up throws and punches off of them. So essentially I counter kicks and punch with kicks rather than check them. I break down the legs, kick the support legs and come off at weird angles. I have a few highlight videos where you can see me doing this. I don't care if guys catch my legs because they have to receive damage doing it and I rotate my body so my legs are hard to hold on to.
    So are you saying that your go-to defense against a low kick is an offensive kick to the standing leg?
    I am unsure of what you mean by coming off at weird angles, and would appreciate seeing some of these highlight videos.
    Much thanks for the information.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 4:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamSP View Post
    So are you saying that your go-to defense against a low kick is an offensive kick to the standing leg?
    Yes.
    I am unsure of what you mean by coming off at weird angles, and would appreciate seeing some of these highlight videos.
    Much thanks for the information.

I don't do the leg counters as much in here, usually reserve it to much more experienced guys.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 4:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 2:51am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish UMG wouldn't hold a grudge against my country. I'd love to see this.

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 6:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you counter kicks by hitting the supporting leg are you aiming for the thigh for damage or lower for the offbalance/sweep? We did a lot of this stuff in MT, most just preferred to check then counter with a leg kick. I haven't had to check at all since i started mma, the kickers at this gym telegraph their kicks a mile off.
    Kenny Weldon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast