Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 12:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, the 4-6 is based on my experiences. We were flashy at demos and sparred full contact at a 6-7 level according to our own FAQ. We didn't compete so, I can't say eight. I was hoping his school was similar, but now I'm almost certain it is not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 12:31am

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the OP, there is a sticky at the beginning of the forum that describes and gives examples of 'aliveness'. Based on that, the absolute best you've got is a 4-5, assuming that the videos are a representative sample of what goes on in your school.

However, for all the dancing that goes on during the sparring sessions, though, I would be hard put to give you anything over a 4. The issue is one of resistance ... is your sparring partner trying to make it difficult for you to pull off your maneuvers? To do that, I would expect each person to try to disrupt the other's rhythm, distance, and timing. In the videos I see none of that. Instead, I see an almost linear 'my turn', 'your turn' type of sparring. It's the reason that in the videos the guys can even pull off those moves ... the other person is letting it happen. It's like it never enters the other person's head that he can just step in and stop the other guy from jumping to begin with.

So, even with light contact (even if you guys try to KTFO), in my mind you wouldn't get more than a 4.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 7:58am

Style: Kung-Fu, Wu-Su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last post was not clear. I assigned a 6 based on Bullshido's sample videos- comparing them to what happens in my school, NOT based on my school's posted videos. I also said feel free to disagree with my based on our (my school's) posted videos, meaning I understand and respect what you are saying.

All this being said I think we are dwelling on semantics. At the end of the day this review is intended just to put my school's name out and give anyone potentially interested an idea of what they can expect. Potential students will be watching classes before joining anyway and won't have to take my word as to whether we're a 4 or 5 or 6.

I am not trying to say we are any better or tougher than anyone else, just trying to create an accurate picture. I am glad you pointed out correctly that we are not an 8 for aliveness, I have no interest in recruiting students under a false impression of what they will train- that would be a waste of both of time and as a non-profit, my school has no financial incentive for this.

Quote Originally Posted by nab View Post
    I reviewed the sample videos and feel a 6 for Aliveness is more accurate rating than my original 8. Feel free to disagree based on our posted videos, but again I am genuinely trying to give an honest appraisal- remember, I didn't give my school any tens and have no problem assigning low numbers where appropriate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 9:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many people abuse this system and it is used for accurate ratings of your school. Potential students may take time out of their day if you are unclear. Yes, semantics is important.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 4:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, it sounds like typical TMA bullshit giving itself big marks as they always do. Virtually every TMA guy gives his school marks like 9 for striking etc. Embarrassing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, internet tough guy, pay attention. I didn't give a single 9. I gave an 8 for Aliveness, which I was happy to admit I was wrong about after reviewing the video examples and an 8 for gym size which is appropriate as we have approximately 5,000 square feet.

If you have an aversion to traditional martial arts, than don't waste your time trolling traditional school reviews trying to talk ****. P.S. if you did your homework you would know that our school's founder, Mr. Alan Lee was extremely influential in bringing Asian Martial Arts to non-Asians and gets universal respect. There's a reason our school's been thriving since 1967, don't be an asshole.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 11:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, internet tough guy, pay attention. I didn't give a single 9. I gave an 8 for Aliveness, which I was happy to admit I was wrong about after reviewing the video examples and an 8 for gym size which is appropriate as we have approximately 5,000 square feet.

If you have an aversion to traditional martial arts, than don't waste your time trolling traditional school reviews trying to talk ****. P.S. if you did your homework you would know that our school's founder, Mr. Alan Lee was extremely influential in bringing Asian Martial Arts to non-Asians and gets universal respect. There's a reason our school's been thriving since 1967, don't be an asshole.
    I have heard good things about Alan Lee's school from my sifu, who in turn is respected by myself and other Bullshido members.

Don't feed the trolls, nab. It's summertime, they are out of school.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a reason our school's been thriving since 1967.
    You are mistaken on your date.

Also, without giving commentary on the specifics of your school's reason(s), there are more than a few examples of decades old thriving schools which are, as Master Betty cynically put it, "typical TMA bullshit". This website's charter is dedicated to outing them. So, unless you wish to chalk up your above response to him to typical school pride, your rebuttal to Master Betty should properly include at least a small amount of video evidence as to why you felt the need to take his rant as applying to your school.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 6/22/2011 11:50pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Lee's first school was founded summer 1967 in Newark NJ. That winter he founded the school which I reviewed in NYC. How is my date wrong?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/22/2011 11:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Betty View Post
    Honestly, it sounds like typical TMA bullshit giving itself big marks as they always do. Virtually every TMA guy gives his school marks like 9 for striking etc. Embarrassing.
    He gave himself 5s, 6s, and a few 8s which he modified after some useful feedback.

You, on the other hand, are a trolling and completely fucking useless TMAer.

:GTFO:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast