Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    What's the group in the FAQ you referenced? 4-5. That video is 4-5 according to the FAQ.
    "4-5: Light contact continuous sparring (negligible pain/risk)."
    Look at the example given under 4-5 which I already posted above. They're not pausing to let each other do a pretty technique like the kung fu class are. They're not using any power, there's negligible risk of pain, but the tempo is not compliant. There aren't time gaps you can drive a monkey roll or a 'badass' jump spinning kick through.

They're doing something more like 3.
    "2-3: Compliant partner drills, board breaking, point sparring"

What we're looking at is on the borderline between a compliant partner drill and point sparring. It's improvised, but it's being done with the stilted tempo of people trying to choreograph a fight scene, so that their training partner has a chance to use cinematic techniques. What they're doing would get them owned in a light-continuous point tournament. What they're doing is improvisational XMA.
    Last edited by Cullion; 6/06/2011 5:25pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 5:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post

Look at the example given under 4-5 which I already posted above.
    Yes that one is a five. The one I used is a four.
    They're doing something more like 3.
    You said 3-4 I said 4-5. If you want to use three now cool we will just continue to disagree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 10:38am

Style: Kung-Fu, Wu-Su

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My internet is down at home and Youtube is disabled at work. Once I am able to review the model rating videos I will update my school's rating appropriatley.

Suffice to say for the moment that the couple clips on our website were chosen specifically because they feature some exciting looking techniques. They are from a public demonstration to showcase some of what we teach. They are NOT compliant or pre-arrangered and such flowery movements rarely make it into in-class fighting as they are hard to get off without opening yourself to counterstiking.

Also, I erroneously stated that we have 2,500 sq feet of space. In fact, the school is twice that, at 5,000+.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 11:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I reserved full judgment. It doesn't mean that it will be higher or change an opinion. You should get some video of actual class sparring. The first one Cullion posted is a 2-3 and definitely compliant. We disagree on the one I posted. Still, we have seen nothing that warrants anything above the 4-5 classification.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reviewed the sample videos and feel a 6 for Aliveness is more accurate rating than my original 8. Feel free to disagree based on our posted videos, but again I am genuinely trying to give an honest appraisal- remember, I didn't give my school any tens and have no problem assigning low numbers where appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by nab View Post
    My internet is down at home and Youtube is disabled at work. Once I am able to review the model rating videos I will update my school's rating appropriately.

Suffice to say for the moment that the couple clips on our website were chosen specifically because they feature some exciting looking techniques. They are from a public demonstration to showcase some of what we teach. They are NOT compliant or pre-arrangered and such flowery movements rarely make it into in-class fighting as they are hard to get off without opening yourself to counterstiking.

Also, I erroneously stated that we have 2,500 sq feet of space. In fact, the school is twice that, at 5,000+.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 8:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still want to know the answer to my question. has your school sent fighters into full contact lei tai tournaments? also i would like to know if you have had any fighters compete in sanctioned sanda ring fights.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 9:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, to my knowledge no. Again, as a school we do not compete. Occasionally different members complete as individuals but who and where exactly I could not say.

I have actually been curious about the Baltimore tournament and was thinking of taking part. I hesitate though due to high fees plus travel expenses. I assume you would recommend it?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 10:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, to my knowledge no. Again, as a school we do not compete. Occasionally different members complete as individuals but who and where exactly I could not say.

I have actually been curious about the Baltimore tournament and was thinking of taking part. I hesitate though due to high fees plus travel expenses. I assume you would recommend it?
    as far as kung fu tournaments go, it's the best test of skills that we have. if you fight on the lei tai, you will learn if your training has been worthwhile, and you will learn about how much heart you have.

the rules are open enough to allow most kung fu techniques, so you shouldn't feel that your style is being too limited by the rules, and the competition is among the best that the US has to offer, at least at the finals level.

i wouldn't enter the tournament lightly. you need to know what full contact is like, and you should have competent cornermen there to watch out for you.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 11:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reviewed the sample videos and feel a 6 for Aliveness is more accurate rating than my original 8. Feel free to disagree based on our posted videos, but again I am genuinely trying to give an honest appraisal- remember, I didn't give my school any tens and have no problem assigning low numbers where appropriate.
    You based it on the sample videos? Then you don't understand aliveness. Your videos do not represent a six at all. I said 4-6 because, I haven't seen non-demo videos. You may spar differently inside your school. No, neither of those videos are sixes.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the OP taking the time to promote his school, but it's not exactly what I would think of as any kind of objective review, or even a review at all. The OP also said that the videos were chosen based on their flashiness, and thus I can understand IIF's more charitable 4-6 rating.

That being said, just looking at the videos - I have no idea how he came up with an 8.

Cullion and IIF seem to basically be saying the same thing anyway, with only a minor disagreement on the integer.

(Furthermore, i don't think the OP actually understands aliveness at all. I think he is substituting the word activity or something.)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast