Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Intro

Style
    JKD/Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

This is my first time posting on these forums. I've read before but just made an account today. I'm very...VERY...sad to say that I jumped the gun a while back and without any real investigation on my part. (Good investigation anyhow) I decided to buy Hargrave's line of distance learning BS. I bought the full dvd set of 2-12 which included the lifetime membership and all that jazz during the 40% off deal. So luckily I only blew around 240 bucks. Sad news is, I blew 240 bucks.

While I will say that it helped give me something to focus on while I started on my journey to get back in shape (sot of a long story.) and it did give me a good feeling at first that finally I was back to moving forward with my life and my training. I also will say that I wish I had seen Bullshido sooner, or looked a little deeper into other options. I've studied Bruce Lee and Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do for some time and can tell that some of what is on the dvds is useful, but most of it is more of what the great Lee would call a "mess".

I still value it for a sort of building block beginning and for what it helped me to do in moving forward with training after a solid couple years of blah. But I've done more research and found the videos that Inosanto and Balicki? have for reference as well as a Ted Wong branch student about 5 hours from me who I plan to begin going to see in hopes of acquiring a recognized ability to instruct in the future. It is also my intention to pick up some good ol' BJJ and Muay Thai as I know someone of each from previous MA correspondence that is properly qualified to teach.

I wanted to thank those on this forum and this thread in particular for helping me to move forward yet again. While I never intended to achieve "rank" by video, it's all of the hard workers here that have helped me to bypass Carter entirely. Your efforts are greatly appreciated and hopefully one day I can give back somehow the same amount I feel I've gained!

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trowa View Post
    It is also my intention to pick up some good ol' BJJ and Muay Thai as I know someone of each from previous MA correspondence that is properly qualified to teach.
    Don't be a dabbler, dabblers usually suck ass.

Pick something and commit to it. Real skill takes years to develop.

Style
    JKD/Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only intend to train in BJJ and Muay Thai in order to expand. It's my belief that Lee intended JKD as a stepping stone. For each student to grow and continue from. This is my personal opinion based on what Lee has said and what I believe he meant. I desire to devote myself to the arts in a similar fashion as Lee had. It's my life and I treat it as such. To take a quote from Hargrave himself *shudder* "I treat it like those schooling for Masters degree."

He may be a puddle of stupid trying to self-promote in words rather than in practice but his b.s. statement is how I myself wish to be. Will it take me a great portion of my life and serious dedication? Definitely, I have no illusions about the difficulty in it. But knowledge is power and I wish to do the search for myself into the different arts to decide what, for me personally, is useful and what is to be discarded.

It's about growth and self expression. I'll give BJJ and MT each their own deserved respect and dedication. But in the end if I feel something doesn't have practical use, and I find it honestly doesn't then I'll leave it behind and continue to shape the martial artist I am to be. Hopefully under the care and guidance of seasoned professionals with actual knowledge and insight into their respective arts, it'll be something myself, my family, friends and hopefully eventual students can be proud of.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously? You are not Bruce Lee. You do not know people, who a very good at what they do, giving you privates to help you create your own art. Don't derail this thread any further with your "philosophy."

Style
    Aikijujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But in the end if I feel something doesn't have practical use, and I find it honestly doesn't then I'll leave it behind and continue to shape the martial artist I am to be. Hopefully under the care and guidance of seasoned professionals with actual knowledge and insight into their respective arts, it'll be something myself, my family, friends and hopefully eventual students can be proud of.
    You'll probably end up mediocre like most, it's not a big thing to be proud of, but its not shameful either.

And don't mistake "things I'm not good at" with things that don't have a practical use.

Style
    xingyi

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... who I plan to begin going to see in hopes of acquiring a recognized ability to instruct in the future.
    for what it's worth, you sound to me like a carter hargrave in the making : /

Why would you want to teach when you still have clearly so much more to learn before you are ready to teach anyone anything?

Style
    Aikijujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Why would you want to teach when you still have clearly so much more to learn before you are ready to teach anyone anything?
    Well, we both know the answer to that, it takes experience to appreciate your inexperience.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only intend to train in BJJ and Muay Thai in order to expand. It's my belief that Lee intended JKD as a stepping stone. For each student to grow and continue from. This is my personal opinion based on what Lee has said and what I believe he meant. I desire to devote myself to the arts in a similar fashion as Lee had. It's my life and I treat it as such. To take a quote from Hargrave himself *shudder* "I treat it like those schooling for Masters degree."

He may be a puddle of stupid trying to self-promote in words rather than in practice but his b.s. statement is how I myself wish to be. Will it take me a great portion of my life and serious dedication? Definitely, I have no illusions about the difficulty in it. But knowledge is power and I wish to do the search for myself into the different arts to decide what, for me personally, is useful and what is to be discarded.

It's about growth and self expression. I'll give BJJ and MT each their own deserved respect and dedication. But in the end if I feel something doesn't have practical use, and I find it honestly doesn't then I'll leave it behind and continue to shape the martial artist I am to be. Hopefully under the care and guidance of seasoned professionals with actual knowledge and insight into their respective arts, it'll be something myself, my family, friends and hopefully eventual students can be proud of.
    You sound like an arrogant prick. Are you an arrogant prick? Let us know so that we know where we stand.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    Well, we both know the answer to that, it takes experience to appreciate your inexperience.
    Right. Was rather hoping that this was the question that formed in the OP's head though ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 Last