Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 2:58pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Silat takedowns look super cool. However, I can't see any of them working against a resisting opponent that doesn't really want to look cool falling on the ground. Has anyone seen any live Silat takedowns? Is there any video of it so I can not be so disappointed?
    I frequently use leg trips i learned in silat to finish single and double legs, and i get the putar kepala when wrestling from the knees- BJJ and Judo white belt, take with salt, etc.

Posted On:
    6/12/2011 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like basic ashi-waza with no-gi grips. Nothing mysterious, looks a lot like the sort that Machida frequently uses too

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mande Muda,Minang Harimau

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the takedown is going to depend on the attack. For instance someone who is low in nature are going to be more succeptable to a harimau takedown as they won't want to stand up. If they are more upright then a lot of sapu's (sweeps), head manipulation type throws will work better.

When the person resists sometimes you have to ask why they are resisting. If they already know the technique and how to defeat it then it's easy to resist and it will seem that your technique won't work. What i'd recommend is pick 3 techiniques and cycle through them. This way your partner won't be able to anticipate your defense to his attack.

If the person is resisting by tensing up all there muscles then ask them to move again. It's really hard to hit someone if they are full tensed and as long as your timing is on then you should be able to finish the technique.

If your timing is off and the person has already reset then your technique might not work. Lastly, sometimes using a pinch or a pressure point will make them loosen up enough to finish out the technique.

Hope this helps!

Mongo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2012 2:52pm

Style: JJ, Karate, JKD, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not all but i think most silat takedowns work off of softening up your opponent first with a strike or distraction

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2012 10:32am

Style: Pencak Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister-6000 View Post
    not all but i think most silat takedowns work off of softening up your opponent first with a strike or distraction
    Yep, that goes for a lot of things, like for instance takedowns and locks of Japanese Jiu Jitsu ( i think they call it atemi there)

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. Most of the core takedowns are leverage-based, and shouldn't require an opponent who can't think or is pain compliant to work.

All that matters for a sapu dalem or luwar is if you have established a solid grip, time the foot, and pull center of gravity to the third point.

All that maters for the putar kepala is if you break the posture with your head control and catch the elbow extended away from the torso.

Harimau leg weaves just require you getting under the hips and flush with the leg.

And so on and so on. Once you have your set up, it should be leverage based just like a hip toss or a double leg- what matters is if you can hit your setup or not. Striking may be involved in you getting your initial grips and I think one of the advantages of silat is thinking coherently about what striking combinations get you into position, but fundamentally none of the takedowns require you to have "stunned" the opponent first, with exception of some of the more wrist-locky stuff. If you can't hit the core silat takedowns on a resisting opponent, it is my opinion that you simply don't have a basic grasp of timing, posture and base that you need for all grappling, Indonesian or otherwise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 6:13pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat needs sanda and then it will look like sanda. awesome.
    I've seen crazy takedowns in ammy sanda...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/09/2012 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Silat needs sanda and then it will look like sanda.
    Competitive silat is already chest protector striking with takedowns though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2012 12:26am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiga View Post
    Yep, that goes for a lot of things, like for instance takedowns and locks of Japanese Jiu Jitsu ( i think they call it atemi there)
    I'm fairly certain atemi refers to strikes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2012 2:26am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Competitive silat is already chest protector striking with takedowns though.
    I know,it needs more, better...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast