Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 6:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike_ebw View Post
    Ok, that make sense. Thats a shame really. I'd like to see full contact if thats the case. The final vid was close, but it seemed that as soon as one started flailing the other followed. Major case of handbags at dawn.
    Some more full contact :

Last edited by bakuma; 6/07/2011 6:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 6:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    The posturing is the adoption of traditional stances after the technique, while if this was "real" Silat they're be following the guy down with dropping knees, elbows and hand strikes.
    Sometimes you don't even need to follow with strikes, as the throw itself is enough to end the fight.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 8:05am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    Sometimes you don't even need to follow with strikes, as the throw itself is enough to end the fight.
    Sometimes a throw does end a fight or a match. Sometimes it does not. So training to back off every time as soon as you do a throw could give you bad habits, do you agree?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree, boss. ;)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting videos so far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 12:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    Sometimes a throw does end a fight or a match. Sometimes it does not. So training to back off every time as soon as you do a throw could give you bad habits, do you agree?
    this is a huge caveat I noticed in Aikido. When I confronted my sensei about it, he just replied "if they keep attacking, then keep throwing them until they tire out"

... my response was "well that's assuming it wasn't retardedly difficult to throw them in the first place"... to which he responded "Then run."

ahh... aikido, how are you a martial art again?

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 12:49pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First I saw this thread, and then this posting came up in my local craigslist.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/act/2426267181.html

I emailed him to find out if it can be done to any music, or if it only worked with certain songs. So far they have not replied back to me. I also asked if they thought putting a lot of ellipses in their ad meant that they were mysterious.

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 1:34pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    I also asked if they thought putting a lot of ellipses in their ad meant that they were mysterious.
    I think it means the instructor is asthmatic and was dictating his ad to a student.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 1:43pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I think it means the instructor is asthmatic and was dictating his ad to a student.
    The ellipses is the visual representation of the spasm he got while chanting "please not bullshido, god, please dont let bullshido have this one".

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    6/07/2011 10:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bakuma View Post
    I've never seen a style of Pencak Silat that considers ANY throw a finishing move. In fact, I don't know of any grappling art that considers a throw a valid "finishing" move. Even if you don't follow the opponent down, you still kick them while their down, whether it be to the groin, ribs, throat or what have you.
    It's very important to remember that these clinch-range throws being demonstrated in competitive Silat are not commonly used in traditional Silat & esp the Dutch Indo styles that came out of the military, as it is usually considered that the attacker has a small blade (pisau or karambit, etc). The beset or sapu sweeps are much more prevalent. I've experienced these throws and when correctly applied they work much like Judo ashiwaza, depending on whether you've triangulated the inside or outside of their foot/ankle & how you're manipulating the upper body.
    You can guarantee these kind of chest-bumping pickups would evaporate from competition if the judges handed out a karambit or two to a couple random competitors.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 6/07/2011 10:11pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast