Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 1:28pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ OT

Heat exhaustion, why do you think the metal cuirass was often replaced in ancient greece? (see example)

or the knight covered up his great helm and chain? (see 2nd example)

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 1:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Commander Cody shakes his head disapprovingly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 1:42pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the hell is Commander Cody?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    There was a good video in another thread posted on armor use, I believe it was a video done by Mike Loades. It showed that the armor back then wasnt as inflexible as people think and actually was at least for the most part easy to move in. I think the big problem would have been armor doesnt breath so heat exaustion would be a big problem.
    Was that the guy who demonstrated that it is indeed possible to mount a horse in the standard manner whilst fully armoured? i.e. without being winched up there?

I did see a video on YouTube ages ago where someone debunked that little 'everyone knows' factoid.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Was that the guy who demonstrated that it is indeed possible to mount a horse in the standard manner whilst fully armoured? i.e. without being winched up there?

I did see a video on YouTube ages ago where someone debunked that little 'everyone knows' factoid.
    Very likely he's done just about everything tv wise when it comes to medieval history.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    @ OT

Heat exhaustion, why do you think the metal cuirass was often replaced in ancient greece? (see example)

or the knight covered up his great helm and chain? (see 2nd example)

That Greeks outfit looks air-conditioned lol, I wonder if low strikes were of concern.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 11:29pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    That Greeks outfit looks air-conditioned lol, I wonder if low strikes were of concern.
    Shield seemed to cover everything the shin guards didn't.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2011 12:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Travelling back in time - when my larping around with swords finally pays off, and I wish I hadn't started (larping) Wing Chun instead! ;)

Regarding armour, it's not really that bad. Think of a mail hauberk as a badly fitted hiking pack, and you're about there. Most of the weight sits on the shoulders.

My understanding is that Plate weighs around the same as chain, but is much easier to move in, since it's strapped down, and the weight is distributed over the body more - like a well fitted hiking pack.
    You won't be setting any land-speed records, but you can stand around waiting for your part of the battlefield to get messy.

Hold the shield up indefinitely on the other hand..... ugh! You know that part of the fight where you're wrecked, and your corner is yelling 'get those hands up' at you? Picture that with dumbbells in each hand!

Posted On:
    6/09/2011 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Money View Post
    Travelling back in time - when my larping around with swords finally pays off, and I wish I hadn't started (larping) Wing Chun instead! ;)

Regarding armour, it's not really that bad. Think of a mail hauberk as a badly fitted hiking pack, and you're about there. Most of the weight sits on the shoulders.

My understanding is that Plate weighs around the same as chain, but is much easier to move in, since it's strapped down, and the weight is distributed over the body more - like a well fitted hiking pack.
    You won't be setting any land-speed records, but you can stand around waiting for your part of the battlefield to get messy.

Hold the shield up indefinitely on the other hand..... ugh! You know that part of the fight where you're wrecked, and your corner is yelling 'get those hands up' at you? Picture that with dumbbells in each hand!
    I have a sword and shield there not that heavy, the sword is maybe 2.5 lbs and the shield probably 10(its 16 gauge). Now using them for any extended amount of time makes them feel like dumbbells.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345