Posted On:
    6/03/2011 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Medieval.

The European middle ages encompassed a thousand fucking years of history, you really can't generalise like that at all. So don't.

The English longbowman, as an example, was an incredibly well trained peasant. It was in fact mandated by law that every able bodied man practice with this weapon, because it took so much time to master.

It's not that they didn't want well trained and equipped armies, it's that it was expensive as all hell, especially arms and armour. A mail hauberk in modern terms cost as much as a house.
    Wow. How much would a full suit of plate armour cost then, you reckon?

I'm not uninformed enough to believe that there was a point in time when everyone was clanking around on the battlefield like ye olde knights of olde, dressed from head to toe in steel - but who typically would have been wearing that?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not an expert either, but as far as I know mail and full plate are from different periods.

Full plate is more advanced, not necessarily more expensive. Think very carefully how a pre-industrial society would have to make something like a mail shirt.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Full plate is more advanced, not necessarily more expensive. Think very carefully how a pre-industrial society would have to make something like a mail shirt.
    Well, you start with a big spool of wire...

Oh ****.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Well, you start with a big spool of wire...

Oh ****.
    Indeed. Must've taken them absolutely ages - and I don't suppose that learning how to fabricate mail in the first place was easy either...

It's something that I've never really thought about.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 7:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if anyone brought it up but the OP failes to realize that select few people survived the battle of thermopolae and even then no one from that era is even close to being alive. That alone makes this post really stupid.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 9:06pm

Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Yeh, but the guys back then may have been far more skilled in sword-fighting than even the most enthusiastic resurrector of battlefield arts long since forgotten by the rest of the world - and know exactly how to deal with a larger, stronger, but less technically-sound opponent...

Or not. Weren't many historical armies largely composed of peasants who were recruited on the spot, as and when required (and given a few days of training?)? Dunno - I'm not a history buff.
    Depends on the time period, in medieval Europe it was mostly peasants on the front line, archers would be a bitch though, same with Calvary. In rome I'd be fucked as they had professional armies.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm not uninformed enough to believe that there was a point in time when everyone was clanking around on the battlefield like ye olde knights of olde, dressed from head to toe in steel - but who typically would have been wearing that?
    Rich douchebag knights at the joust tourney.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 1:00am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Suits of armour were either really expensive in the early years of medieval iron working when what little iron came from Russian and Scandinavian resources to much cheaper with the discovery of English pig iron and other western sources as well as coal smelting and other improvements on smithing technology.

And a full suit of armour would only be worn by someone riding a horse. Full suits were not only heavy as **** but incredible inflexible and hard to see in with a visor. Some ass with a mace or club could easily beat you silly while wearing a helm and you couldn't do **** about it. If you would be fighting on the ground I would assume a single breastplate or chain shirt would suffice and the rest would be tempered leather.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    Suits of armour were either really expensive in the early years of medieval iron working when what little iron came from Russian and Scandinavian resources to much cheaper with the discovery of English pig iron and other western sources as well as coal smelting and other improvements on smithing technology.

And a full suit of armour would only be worn by someone riding a horse. Full suits were not only heavy as **** but incredible inflexible and hard to see in with a visor. Some ass with a mace or club could easily beat you silly while wearing a helm and you couldn't do **** about it. If you would be fighting on the ground I would assume a single breastplate or chain shirt would suffice and the rest would be tempered leather.
    There was a good video in another thread posted on armor use, I believe it was a video done by Mike Loades. It showed that the armor back then wasnt as inflexible as people think and actually was at least for the most part easy to move in. I think the big problem would have been armor doesnt breath so heat exaustion would be a big problem.
    Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 6/04/2011 12:39pm at . Reason: forgot something

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 12:44pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    One does not learn the martial arts to live through a battle, but instead to die without regrets.

*gong sound*
    Oh you are so fucking awesome!!!!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast