Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 8:10am

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Battle fight!

Okay, I'm putting this here, because your martial arts suck. Mine do to. Why?

Well, thinking about fat guys being badasses and such from another thread, I wondered who here thinks they could fight like they do, with the training they have in a full on field battle. Non-modern weaponry only.

Could you hack it in 80lbs armour holding a shield for 6 hours under the hot sun? Would you have survived the Battle of Thermopolie? How about the Battle of Hastings? Under Lapu-Lapu fighting off the Spanish in the PI?

I know we generally don't train for that kind of thing. But alot of martial arts, especially japanese styles, we're meant for battle field combat. But I think this has disappeared alot. Maybe the only place left is some FMA, but even it seem like multiple opponent stuff is geared towards fending off three guys with sticks and knives...not going up against an invading army or raiders.

So would you die from exhaustion? Or get killed from gassing out amid battle? Or are you Billy Battlefield Badass...and why do you think that? :fuckyea:

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 8:40am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're an idiot no one ever wore 80lbs of armor. If I trained to fight in whatever weaponry as much as I train my current martial arts of course I could. If anything most modern athlete would beat the crap out of ancient athletes given the same training. Our nutrition and size is on another level in most cases.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 9:25am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were wearing armor, I'd most likely be sending dipshits like you out to fight with no armor and just some crude club or pointy thing as a weapon. Don't worry, the other side would have equally crude weapons and very little armor too.

When I come through with my armor it will be on horseback with sharp weapons, and it will be a brief charge to disrupt the enemy's advance. I can't risk staying on the battlefield because I'm the only guy trained in any kind of military tactics. Without me you're dead anyway.

Then again, most likely I'd already be dead because I'm 39 years old and the lifespan for men in the 18th century was around 35.

Anyway, when you do fight, you won't be swinging a weapon for 6 hours straight - that's not how it worked. Read a little more on ancient battle.

PS, make sure you don't get any kind of battle injury. Even relatively small ones are prone to infection which is a pretty slow and painful way to die. Good luck.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 9:43am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be pretty screwed if i found myself in ancient Greece. My contingency plan for unexpected time travel only covers the last 50 years; I don't think memorising share market changes and ball game results will help me much in a time of battle elephants and weird leper monsters.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 9:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on how cute and Bi-curious you are.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Under Lapu-Lapu fighting off the Spanish in the PI?
    Weren't the Spanish the ones with the metal armor there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 10:23am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to this the average modern soldier carries 91lbs of kit:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...01-15_ch11.htm

And i believe quite a few of them are deployed under the hot sun of the desert these days ... so evidence would suggest that yes, people today could do all that **** (although not necessarily me).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 12:59pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question may be dipshit and idiotic, but it was an "I'm bored stupid question" thread. And you responded.

Anyways. I do believe that a vest of chainmail weighed about 40 lbs. Maybe more or less depending on the smith. Ad a helmet, some grieves and arm guards and all the padding underneath and I think you're pushing 80lbs. Especially considering a shield.

I will admit, I'm not a huge ancient battles buff. But I do know skirmishes could last for hours, as part of an overall battle lasting days on end.

And I did add LapuLapu as an example because this wasn't specifically about armour. Let me restate the question [edit:removed insult cause some of you are a pretty cool guy]...

"If you were suddely swept back in time to the Battle of Thermopolie, the Battle of Hastings or a Spanish invasion fighting with Lapu-Lapu fending off the Spanish in the PI, do you think, in the condition you are currently in, you could hack it and live. Disregarding skills, just conditioning. "

I'd say I'm probably one dead ************. My will to live is a little sketchy anyways, especially since I found Bullshido.net. :SideMouth:
    Last edited by Killbot; 6/03/2011 1:02pm at .

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 1:14pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most plate armor only weighed about 45lbs. Good armor is not supposed to be restrictive. The clumsy knight is as accurate a stereotype as the battlefield Ninja.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast