Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 4:41pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blending protein

First off, mods if this belongs in newbietown please move it and accept my apologies.

I was doing some searching for different protein options and I came across this thread by Phrost;

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...protein+powder

It looks like a great option for personalizing your own protein/supplement powder…however I have absolutely NO CLUE what to add to the mix. The prices also seem very reasonable.

Whey protein seems like a no brainer, maybe some creatine but after that what should your average guy mix up?

A little back ground on my work out habits:

I lift twice a week and train Muay Thai three days a week. My diet is pretty good. I’m 6 foot 2 190 lbs. I’m not trying to gain weight I’m actually in the process of loosing 5 lbs to compete at middle weight. I have been using GNC stuff but it is rather expensive.

If I am to fresh and stupid for mixing is there a particular GNC brand that you guys can recommend?

Thanks for helping out.

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 2:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I did Phrost's mix and it's $62 for 5 pounds.
    I use this
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=OP-1011
    5 pounds for $42. Probably cheaper on another website.
    You can always buy creatine separately. It's probably cheaper that way.
    Glutamine hasn't been shown in any studies to help with recovery. Not sure why so many people think it does. It does help boost the immune system though if I remember right.

If someone has something better than what I use or cheaper and just as good. I'd like to know.

Also, don't shop at GNC. You can probably find the same stuff online for a lot cheaper. Look at that protein powder I suggested. If you go to the Optimum Nutrition's website they're selling it for $82, which is twice as much as vitamin shoppe.
    Last edited by Travis17; 6/03/2011 2:33am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Travis. Wow way cheaper.

I'm liking the idea of creatine separate and in capsules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 12:11am

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    Well I did Phrost's mix and it's $62 for 5 pounds.
    I use this
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=OP-1011
    5 pounds for $42. Probably cheaper on another website.
    You can always buy creatine separately. It's probably cheaper that way.
    Glutamine hasn't been shown in any studies to help with recovery. Not sure why so many people think it does. It does help boost the immune system though if I remember right.

If someone has something better than what I use or cheaper and just as good. I'd like to know.

Also, don't shop at GNC. You can probably find the same stuff online for a lot cheaper. Look at that protein powder I suggested. If you go to the Optimum Nutrition's website they're selling it for $82, which is twice as much as vitamin shoppe.
    I get the Banana flavor of that exact protein, been using it for the past like..oh god..5 years at least. 42 is around the right price, it's about the same on amazon honestly. If you could find it cheaper PLEASE let me know, i have a deal set up with one of my clients that he buys me a jug of that stuff every month instead of paying for 2 of his sessions, if we could find it cheaper, he'd be able to get it and still pay me a little more...so that's a win win lol.

Posted On:
    6/04/2011 3:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Clav
    I'm not familiar with creatine capsules and their effectiveness. I just pour creatine in a glass, then just a shot's worth of water and drink it quickly like a shot. I do that 2 or 3 times to make sure I get most of all the creatine out of the glass. Use to mix it in a lot of water but half of it gets stuck to the glass and it takes longer to consume that way.

@proteinshakez
    Been getting the Double Rich Chocolate for awhile. Couldn't really find it cheaper. I remember it being about $35 not too long ago. Vitaminshoppe is offering free shipping this month. Supplement warehouse will knock 5% off any competitor's price on their website, but their shipping costs are too expensive for me. $11 shipping makes the 5% not even matter.

I'm sure there are probably sales or deals out there, you just have to keep an eye open.

Was thinking of trying one of these
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...n-isolate.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html

I hear cake batter is a really good flavor, and they look pretty similar to the ON Whey. That Isofuel looks especially good because it says it has 80 servings and ON only has 74, and it's $4 cheaper.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just ordered some of the protein powder and the creatine capsules, ill let you know if I like them.

Thanks Travis. The free shipping doesn't apply internationally, they only ship UPS to Canada.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2011 2:21pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    @Clav
    I'm not familiar with creatine capsules and their effectiveness. I just pour creatine in a glass, then just a shot's worth of water and drink it quickly like a shot. I do that 2 or 3 times to make sure I get most of all the creatine out of the glass. Use to mix it in a lot of water but half of it gets stuck to the glass and it takes longer to consume that way.

@proteinshakez
    Been getting the Double Rich Chocolate for awhile. Couldn't really find it cheaper. I remember it being about $35 not too long ago. Vitaminshoppe is offering free shipping this month. Supplement warehouse will knock 5% off any competitor's price on their website, but their shipping costs are too expensive for me. $11 shipping makes the 5% not even matter.

I'm sure there are probably sales or deals out there, you just have to keep an eye open.

Was thinking of trying one of these
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...n-isolate.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html

I hear cake batter is a really good flavor, and they look pretty similar to the ON Whey. That Isofuel looks especially good because it says it has 80 servings and ON only has 74, and it's $4 cheaper.
    never had the cake batter but i'm sure it's not bad. I've come to a realization about protein over the past 9 years of taking it lol. Some flavors are good with water, some are good with milk. The ones that are good with water will be good with milk as well, but the ones that are good mainly in milk will not taste good in water. I'm willing to bet the cake batter would be good if mixed with milk, i've come to realize that "sweet" flavors don't do so well with water, which is why i can't stand chocolate protein if it isn't mixed in milk.

Lol anyways water/milk rant over. I personally think you'd really like the banana too, it's honestly the only flavor i even waste my time on anymore, all the rest are either gross or sub par by comparison :D Give it a shot and see what you think :)

I've never had either of the ones you just linked to in your post, though if there's something better than ON for less money and it works even better...then i'm all for it :D Let me know what you think about them!