Style: BAWXIN'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 10:16pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming same day weigh in, don't use the above guide.

Weight cutting tips for same day weigh in:

Don't use laxative, mild or otherwise. Once the adrenaline hits you the after effects can be a bad combination. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done a fight more concerned about shitting my pants than winning it.

Don't drastically cut carbs in order to lose the 4 pounds of glycogen weight and then refuel before the competition. Your body will rebound hard, with 24 hours time its enough to get over the sluggish/sick feeling of recarbing but if you try to do a complete carb load in less than 6 hours you are going to feel bloated, sluggish and most likely low on energy.

Don't cut more than 5 pounds in the last 24 hours. Being dehydrated will hurt your performance, I'm sure someone here has the statistic on the huge effect of even 1% dehydration on athletic performance. There is also a very real risk on brain/organ damage if you get dropped on your head.

Do tighten your diet over 2 months like suggested above to lower your body fat slowly. I've actually seen it suggested to use heavy weights and low reps to maintain muscle mass over the cut but i think at the end of the day you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.

Do rehydrate with an aid like pedalyte to put back some of the crucial ingredients your body sweated out, and keep drinking until your pee turns clear.

Do eat some food 2-3 hours before you compete, and come prepared with food and drink for a long day.

[Professionals get around many of the above tips by having personal doctors ready to administer I.V.s right after the weigh in. It is a really common practice in Thailand from what i hear.]
    Last edited by Sang; 6/02/2011 10:20pm at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 10:35pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't think I've ever cut weight for any tournament ever.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:01pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was cutting from 77kg to 66kg for Muay Thai fights over 2 weeks with no effect on my fight performance.

For BJJ I won't bother, I've signed up for the next tournament in the 77-87kg class at 80kg.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2011 2:39am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I.V.s are also awesome when youre hungover. Banana bags take you from feeling like **** to ready to rock in 20 minutes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12