Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:49am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ideal Height/Weight Ratio for BJJ

So I got sold by a discussion on the importance of competition in BJJ in another thread and have decided to strap on a sack and compete. That being said, everyone at my gym that competes cuts serious weight. Now Im a complete newb and have some need for advice on the subject. Whats the benefit of cutting weight in Jits. Pros and Cons. Is there anyone that doesnt cut weight and competes? Im really short (5'5") and my walk-around weight is 165lbs and the most I could realistically get down to in 3 months is 135lbs. I will most likely be putting on Blue belt before competition.

Super Feather up to 141.0 lbs
    Feather up to 154.5 lbs
    Light up to 167.5 lbs

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only cut about 8-10lbs. Usually what you can lose by not eating for 24 hours and not drinking for 12. I've done 15lbs weight cuts before in 2 days it's rough and even if you do make it you're tired as balls. Best to plan two months ahead to supplement your bjj training with high rep low weight lifting. Lots of Cleans, Snatches, OH press, lunges, squats, pull ups, etc. Then just gradually lower your calorie intake.

TLDR Version. Cut out bad food, drink lots of water, weight lift, train hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 4:28am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last competition I cut too much and was completely gassed after my first 5 minute round. I couldn't recover properly for the next bout which ended up being less than 15 mins later and I got choked out after running out of steam when my opponent got on top. I dropped about 15lbs from my natural weight in a month which doesn't sound huge at the 92kg level but I was already lean and a lot of that ended up being water and muscle because I dropped my carbs too much and upped my protein intake. I don't know how the pros can cut like they do, in the time that they do and still perform. What I'm doing now is just getting my long term diet fixed and sticking to my natural weight while training regularly.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 5:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience the issue isn't the weight cut, but too large a weight cut over too short a time period. This varies from person to person, but if your athletic performance decreases, you're always feeling tired and/or you are experiencing diminished recovery between training sessions, then you're cutting too much and not getting the healthy **** you need

So basically, what Koresh said; eat right and drink plenty of water. As for the weights, I'm not sure I agree totally with the high rep weight programs, but any weight training is better than none.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 10:31am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are a white belt going to blue and competing for the first time ever...weight shouldn't be a major concern.

Your first competition will be nerve wracking enough - I wouldn't focus on cutting weight, unless you're really comfortable with cutting. Focus on dialing in your technique, and do plenty of cardio and strength training. Once you have a competition under your belt, decide if you actually NEED to cut weight to be competitive.

Eat healthy and train healthy for now. Compete at your natural weight this time.

PS - unless it's a big competition, there probably won't be too many guys down at -141 anyway. It would suck to cut 25 or 30 lbs and get bumped up a division...
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 10:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I was 141 in 4th grade.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, sounds like good stuff, but what is the benefit of cutting in Jits? I figure it would be more beneficial for MT or boxing due to lower weight classes generally having shorter people thus shorter reaches but I don't feel like when I get tapped out when Im rolling that it has much to do with how much taller someone is than me. In fact I feel like rolling with people that are of comparible weight but much taller than me is a good thing normally because I can usual find more holes in their positions for me to escape. Other than the advantage the long legged have for triangles and basing out for knee on belly and other things of that nature, What could possibly benefit me from fighting feather instead of light weight?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 11:31am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you are cutting water weight to get into a lower weight class it means you are likely carrying higher muscle mass than your opponent who didn't cut weight. Meaning you should be stronger.
    I personally have stopped cutting weight and no longer give a ****. I try to do the Absolute division where there are no weight classes, so I don't bother trying to cut from 145 down. I honestly recommend that you not cut weight at all your first few competitions. If you decide to do the Pan Ams or Mundials or something big like that then you can start cutting weight at comps to get a feel for it.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 12:00pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Kin said. Some people confuse "cutting" weight with "losing" weight. Cutting generally means dehydrating yourself to some degree. Losing weight, generally means dropping fat, hopefully in a healthy manner.

If you're carrying around extra fat, by all means manage your weight properly. That means a healthy diet + exercise.

If you're naturally a 140 lb guy who's carrying 25 lbs of flab, some weight loss could do you some good.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the help. Ill post video's when I compete so the bullies can tell me how Im doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast