Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:38am

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with all above. You did the right thing.

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 3:42am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your friend needs help after picking fights at metal gigs, he should start fight picking them at Emo gigs and work his way up.

It's no different to any other kind of martial past-time. He was noob-spazzing, and should have started smaller. Whoop a couple of My Chemical Romance fans, build up to some Vaccines, and then start on the soft rock.

****, if he didn't already have the BJJ Purple, I'd suggest getting his eye in at a few Clannad gigs before he even went that far.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 4:19am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    Now I wasn't there, so I can't make a judgement how that DYG was acting with his girlfriend, but I personally consider "mind your own fucking business" attitude the cowards way out, especially if I get the feeling that it (DYG and the two girls in this case) could escualate in something nastier (beating, date-rape, etc...) if noone steps up.
    Ok, even though you inadvertantly refered to me as a coward Im not going to get all butt hurt, but I will expound on the statement I made earlier by pointing out that I said "If someone is doing something you dont like but its not hurting you or anyone else, mind your own fuckin business" I didnt take the OP story to mean that DYG was assaulting or seemed a viable threat to the young women, if it was the case then yes, stepping in is warranted. That being said, DYG being a little crass to his woman isn't a rare occurance and speaking from personal experience when you ride in thinking youre the white knight in the situation a lot of times the woman being disrespected by her man will rabidly defend her DYG and you very well might catch some legal trouble or at the very least be removed from the bar/concert for your effort without as little much as a thank you from the girl. Trying to be a violent Dr.Phil doesnt prove you're not a coward, and it definitely doesnt make you seem like a hero. It makes you into an asshole that can't go anywhere because he's looking to beat some idiots ass for any reason and ruin his friends night. The best way to handle the situation in question IMO would have been to bring over two beers for DYG and his girl and ask the girl if she was ok if you thought there was a bad situation happening. For all you know she might have been into some "light BDSM" too. If DYG got all uppity at that point and de-escalation didnt work then **** it, have a go. But publicly **** talking someone that is dealing with HIS girl in front of everyone is inevitably going to end in a fight. Im not afraid to throwdown, but Im long passed the days of being the morality police at bars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 5:04am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ Pretty right.

Your (Purple) friends way might not have been the DYG + GF's way.

Also, a purple belt that can't submit a regular guy, drunk or not. For shame.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 6:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeksWWAC View Post
    Ok, even though you inadvertantly refered to me as a coward Im not going to get all butt hurt, but I will expound on the statement I made earlier by pointing out that I said "If someone is doing something you dont like but its not hurting you or anyone else, mind your own fuckin business" I didnt take the OP story to mean that DYG was assaulting or seemed a viable threat to the young women, if it was the case then yes, stepping in is warranted. That being said, DYG being a little crass to his woman isn't a rare occurance and speaking from personal experience when you ride in thinking youre the white knight in the situation a lot of times the woman being disrespected by her man will rabidly defend her DYG and you very well might catch some legal trouble or at the very least be removed from the bar/concert for your effort without as little much as a thank you from the girl. Trying to be a violent Dr.Phil doesnt prove you're not a coward, and it definitely doesnt make you seem like a hero. It makes you into an asshole that can't go anywhere because he's looking to beat some idiots ass for any reason and ruin his friends night. The best way to handle the situation in question IMO would have been to bring over two beers for DYG and his girl and ask the girl if she was ok if you thought there was a bad situation happening. For all you know she might have been into some "light BDSM" too. If DYG got all uppity at that point and de-escalation didnt work then **** it, have a go. But publicly **** talking someone that is dealing with HIS girl in front of everyone is inevitably going to end in a fight. Im not afraid to throwdown, but Im long passed the days of being the morality police at bars.
    Did I quote you in my original post? No, than I wasn't talking to you or over you.

That's the benefit about using quotes, you can give an opinion or start a conversation/discussion on a forum.

Like I said before, I wasn't there and can't therefor judge on the situation that was present at the time or the way to de-escualate the situation ( walk away, joke, beer, fist in face).
    I made a comment on "the mind your own business" attitude that I have witnessed in person from people used to rationalize not stepping up when seeing behaviour that isn't acceptable in our society.

I have never met you in person, so I don't know if you are a coward or not and therefor I can't and won't pass judgement on that fact and since you have never met me, you can't be sure if I am an asshole or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 6:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just can't find the morality question hidden anywhere in that story. Is this a trick question? If it is, my answer is 14. As for your friend, cudos to him for controlling the behavior of everyone around him. Someday he may become a super hero or buzz killer or the dickhead that people used to claim "was harshing their mellow" or something like that..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:03am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP - what was your friend expecting you to do, jump in to the death-metal moshpit grappling match to two-on-one the DYG? You said you would have stepped in if someone else intervened on DYG's side or if there was something very unsportsmanlike and harmful like a head stomp.

Sounds like your buddy handled it, OK as the DYG ran away after taking a few knees. Wouldn't you jumping in, while your buddy was handling things OK, have possibily escalated the fracas and invited more DYG's friends (assuming he actually had any) to intervene as well?
    Last edited by MrJ; 6/02/2011 8:04am at . Reason: grammar

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:05am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom C. did you look in the back of the book? Because 14 is right! You win one day as battlefields. In order to claim your prize, first you'll need a penis enlargement.

Look, it is hard to convey the actual situation in a short, highly amusing story like mine above. I am concerned that people may get the wrong idea about my mate. I also want to clarify that I am with Zendokan in the intervention before escalation idea.

To clarify, I had paid little to no attention to DYG outside of making fun of the fact that his dancing looked funny and that I had seen him earlier in the evening walk up to two different chicks and plant a sloppy one on their lips, while witnessing one or two instances of the mildly forceful kisses on his girlfriend. I didn't much care for the situation outside of the lulz he was providing. My mate, however, has a thing against women being treated badly and was watching DYG like a hawk after he gripped her chin to kiss her the first time. There could have been more, but at that time I was "minding my own business" and talking to some other people, you know, enjoying the gig.

My mate didn't ask me to step in, I apologise if this is how it appears and if I hadn't written this at work I would've edited that part to reflect that we were long gone from the venue and it was asked in a less serious manner, we had begun the run down reflection of the fight, always somewhat a hazy recollection. My reply was serious and it is apparent that it is a unanimous vote it was the right reply, but in the story it was out of context, I made it sound like he jumped up and had a go at me for not helping and once again, I apologise for the miscommunication. From what I know of my mate and his morals, I don't doubt there was probably a reason, whether he overreacted is another matter but not for me to decide.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    If your friend needs help after picking fights at metal gigs, he should start fight picking them at Emo gigs and work his way up.
    Sig material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2011 8:19am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think youre an asshole Zendokan, I think youre a swell guy. Didnt mean to imply otherwise.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast