Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do I need to be in shape?

Hi all, this is my first post here. I was wondering if I need to be in decent shape prior to tracking down a place to train in a MA(I dont even know what I want to train in yet lol). I ask this because, to be frank, I am in TERRIBLE shape! I am 24, about 6' tall, and weigh around 280 lbs. A big fat ****.
    I LOVE watching MMA, and as someone who has been overweight their entire life, envy their abilities and conditioning. This lead me to begin considering training in some type of MA or combative activity as a rewarding and fun way to get in to better shape(and maybe even compete in MMA or something years down the road).

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, you don't, the training will get you in shape. If you give your rough location people might be able to recommend some schools.

Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Style
    Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good gym regardless of style of MA will not allow physical fitness to be a roadblock. You train, you get in shape by training.

I would recommend taking up a kickboxing program, and add jogging to your daily routine to supplement the cardio gained from that. Being in that type of environment will hopefully inspire you to better your eating habits, put you on a solid sleep schedule, and all the other little things that lead to a healthier lifestyle, and will inevitably help you lose weight.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being in shape helps big time, but really you're best off finding some place to train and getting stuck in. Worry about fitness only when it becomes a problem. If you try to get fit first, you'll always feel like you need to do a bit more work before you're ready for MA. Eventually you could end up losing interest without ever starting.

Style
    BJJ n stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell no, training at any good MMA gym is more than enough to get you fit quickly and no instructor worth his salt won't take into account the fact that you are a beginner and out of shape in the first place. Just don't push yourself too hard for the first month until you understand your limitations. Maybe have a chat with the coach before training to let him know how out of shape you are and ask for some advice. There was a really fat guy who started at our club last year who looked like the Mr Stay Puft, he started out doing MMA then doubled it up with BJJ. When he started at BJJ he used to be almost incapacitated after the warm up but now he's cross training 5 days a week training and I'd say he lost at least 2 stone in the past year.

Style
    2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went to a friends aikijitsu class and saw a big, sweaty guy doing all kinds of rolls that defied logic. He was banging away with guys less than half his size so he really stood out. After class I asked him how long he's been at it and he tells me less than 5 weeks...I was stupefied. While he was slower than his classmates, when he locked in a technique it was ugly for his partner. He threw adults effortlessly like they were children. He must be a holy terror by now.

I can't think of few bigger nightmares than a big guy that knows how to handle himself.

Style
    BJJ & MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take extra care of your knees when you're doing whatever MA you decide on. As a big guy, you're naturally putting more pressure on that joint than it was designed for. You might want to ask a doctor before you start jogging. For now, I would also advise avoiding kicks that have you rotating on one leg- especially the ones where you spin and kick with the heel.

Good luck!

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be in shape. If you're not you'd be amorphous.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't remember who said this, but I'm going to paraphrase: the amount of people who wait to "get in shape" before they start a martial art, who actually end up training at all tends to be zero.

You're better off just biting the bullet. Any MA worth its salt will get you in shape quick sharp anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You should be in shape. If you're not you'd be amorphous.
    Ah formless, like Bruce Lee.

Only fat.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you set yourself the goal of getting into shape before you start MA training, you are creating a virtually impossible goal for yourself, and it will just end up being the excuse that stops you from training.

Just show up. Doing that is the hardest thing you'll have to do. Once you are actually there, it's just a matter of following instructions. Easy.

Welcome to bullshido.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last